This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrsinn83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC Distributor
    Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 7:28pm
My question is with my distributor. Does it have to be in a certain position when timing the tractor. I have found the timing marks f and just a line. I was wondering which one to use? I have kept it somewhat loose and while cranking the engine I have turned the distributor to try to get it tuned in to start. I have all ready given the tractor a tune up so thats not the problem. I have also put my finger in #1 untill I felt pressure blow it out and tried timing it that way no luck. If I am close shouldn't it at least fire up a little? I am looking for any help at this point. 
Sponsored Links

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:34pm
This is how I do it; just need a good ear and some simple tools.
Remove plugs. With finger over #1 cyl, turn engine until feel the pressure, stop and insert a length of stiff wire (10-12" should be fine) into #1 cyl until one end hits the piston and the other is sticking out the spark plug hole, slowly turn engine until the piston is at the top (the point where the wire stops coming out). Pull rotor cap, rotor and dust cover; reinstall rotor cap. The end of the rotor will be pointed towards #1 cyl (the wire from the cover goes to #1 spark plug). When looking down at the top of the distributor cap in a Clockwise rotation; the firing order is 1,2,4,3.  Reinstall the dust cover, rotor, distributor cap, plugs and wires (in the aforementioned order-starting with #1). Loosen the distributor hold down bolts and start the engine and run a a low speed; rotate the distributor one way until the engine "loads up", then rotate it the other direction until it "loads up" again, rotate the distributor back half way and you should be timed. You may want to play around a little if the engine runs smoother one side or the other of the half way point. Tighten the distributor hold down bolts and put away the tools.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic