This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Engine
    Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 7:43am
Morning all,
 I'm curious about an A-C engine here on our property in central Texas.  It is mounted on a stone base on the river bank, and was used for pumping river water for irrigation. The belt drive pump is still nearby.  If I can find the model and SN info, is there any way to determine the vintage?  It's pretty thickly grown over, but maybe I can chase the snakes away and take a look.
 Any advise?
 Dan Watson
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 8:28am
A picture will be the best way to start.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
dwatson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:44am
dwatson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:47am
Here are a couple of shots. Its a 4 cylinder.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 2:48pm
Only one photo shows up, looks to me like maybe a UM engine?  Bell housing is integral with engine block, and carb on right side..
dwatson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 3:54pm
Well, let's try again... I'll try to post a photo of the overall unit.
dwatson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 4:02pm
One more. and I'll get some better ones when it cools off later.  Tag on the left side has stamped numbers "796", and on the bottom of the tag "040" and "030". Can't tell what the field is though, the paint is gone.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 4:21pm
looks like A tractor or K crawler engine to me.  separate heads, carb and manifold on RH side opposite of UM engine
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:39pm
That is a A or K engine running on Lpg should have 5 1/4 pistons in it
would be a nice clean motor for a A or K.
Henry se/k! View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry se/k! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 6:24pm
Looks like an e60 power unit to me. I have one from fiour mill in OK. Its on a fram like in photo and mine was on natural gas.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 11:01pm
Exhaust is open to rain, which is not good.  Pull the dipstick... see if it's full of water... if so, pull the drain plug, and cover up the top of the manifold with a piece of plastic pipe and a cap.

Open the radiator cap, look in... if it's full to the top with anti-freeze (pink or green), then it's a very good day.  If it's empty, and there's a crack in the block somewhere, or the dipstick is full of green stuff... it's not such a good day.

Pull the spark plugs, try turning the crank.  Fill all cylinders with oil...

If the engine turns, and there's clean oil in the pan, it won't take a whole lot to make it run.  May have some stuck valves, magneto may need a visit to the magneto doctor, and the gaseous-fuel mixer and demand reg/evaporator may need freshening-up, but it's certainly a good engine

If there's a chance that a good Texas gully-washing rain flooded the river and submerged the engine, it MAY have survived it with little damage (if the river didn't get high enough to fill the cylinders and crankcase).

Check it out further, and let us know.  It may be stuck, but that doesn't necessarily condemn it to death.  Even if it isn't in good graces with the Iron Gods, that doesn't mean it can't be rebuilt and given new life... it also doesn't exclude it from being able to donate precious components to other machines in need of organ transplants.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic