This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7G Never stops amazing me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7G Never stops amazing me
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 1:18pm
I managed to get the steering oil pump to prime, yesterday took the tube off at the pump and filled the inlet with ATF, was working fine then this morning after almost two hours of pretty stiff use the left brake pedal went to the floor.  All external linkages showed good, went to the adjuster and all it does is spin.  Time to tear that down and see what's up.

Yesterday as the oil got hot and the fresh fluids moved around I got almost an hour and 1/2 before the steering filters loaded up, had to wait a while for things to cool enough to change them out but all was good as left and fine this AM until this showed out.
Sponsored Links

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 5:40pm
Might have broken the brake band Dave. All the hydraulic assisted brake tractors could do that. Mine sure has. The factory brake relief valve setting of around 200 psi is way too high. Back that setting down to under 100 psi. Got my HD11EP brake valves near fully bypassing (no pressure). Never broke brake bands after making that adjustment. First off each day when the driveline is cold, I gotta lean all my 200+ pounds of beer belly on the pedals, but when everything is up to operating temp, brakes apply easily
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:35pm
You were correct Mac, left lower band shoe had the adjuster ear section broken off.  Bands looked like almost new too!  I am well on the tear down road, have the fuel tank off, the batteries out and the box coming off, already have the butchered cab guard off, I am going to pull the right side as well as I think I found part of the cause and my steering issues, as I had the left clutch cover off and the lines all removed I hit the clutch application port with air, the seal at the piston is completely blown, won't hold a least little bit of anything, unhooked the right side, will hold air for a moment then gone and whistling in the case, so it too is leaking.  Got on Minnpars site, had the seals and some other odds and ends I needed here, Chartrand tractor has several later model 7G's and Willie said he has one with good bands(recent replacement prior to ending up in yard) so will retrieve them for me.  All should be here by Friday next week giving me time for tear down if I should need anything else.  Jacking and blocking starts tomorrow, the removal of the clutches by tuesday, will have to rig a temporary lift eye to the left side clutch as the brake band ear is gone and nothing to lift from.  Photos to come.

Edited by DMiller - 20 Jul 2012 at 9:37pm
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 11:08am
i did not think you had to pull the clutch just to change the bands or i missed something. like to learn something everyday. good luck.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 2:48pm
Not enough space in the case for the pivot points to pass the drum, you also use the bands to lift the clutch drum out.  I have the clutches and the bands out now, I will also have to replace the left bevel gear drive flange/hub as it is cracked between all the release hub holes.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Jul 2012 at 3:30pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:35pm
More photos:

Edited by DMiller - 22 Jul 2012 at 3:38pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:40pm
Site won't allow more than two photos
My straw boss, the neighbors:
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 4:32pm
I am trying to keep the old monster functioning, seems for every fix there are three more foulups, I am considering installing the right final as soon as the clutches are back together since the rail is split and I have the center of the machine on blocking.  Don't let the rear photo fool you, the rear support is 10" 3/8 wall square steel sitting under the counterweight, there are two similar blocks of steel 8" square 1/2" wall supporting the center crossbeam and still have the two twenty ton bottle jacks sitting aside.  Pulled all the square stuff from a scrappers bin, were less than a full 24" in length so they chucked them.  I have two twenty five foot lengths of 3" square I am going to fashion a replacement operators tree guard from to get rid of the ate up piece that was on here, it is heavy enough to make a fine workbench/welding table from.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Jul 2012 at 4:35pm
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 4:57pm
might be wise to do the final with the turning clutch out to make it easier to turn the gear when you need to. looks like you are into it pretty heavy. i did not realize that they were wet clutches. did the track master pins come out ok or did you struggle. just got one side of my hd5 apart a week ago and it was about a 2 hour job to drive out the pin. keep up the good work and the picks. i am glad to see misery loves company when working on these old girls.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 5:34pm
I could only wish my master pins were that tight, master links are all boogered up from bad/or wrong pins in them too long so am also going to try to repair those links replacing the pins.  Rails are less than 40%, bushings though never turned and remaining pins tight but the tracks are snakey.  I can move the disconnected section on the ground almost 10" sideways.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 5:44pm
Don,t worry your far from alone it these 1 step forward, 3steps backward dances with old crawlers. Not just allis either, caterpillars have them, cyrus Hs creations we, re told have 4 steps backwards Cry  At least you have a nice dry shed !
take the centre cover off too, and check that bevel gear if it has any sideways movement; end float; must be tight with preload. If you wanted to be completely sure, just pull the bevelgear side bearing retainer to check the bearing. as this is the thrust side.
At least if you check everything out now, eventually you eliminate and repair the problems and must eventually get to a point in the dance where its all steps forward Smile
Who knows she might even make a dollar one day, then it will be all steps to the bank Thumbs Up  That or you go and find another 'treasure' as us sort of people have been known to do !
cheers merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:43am
Hi Merv, good hearing from you.  I don't know as the old girl has enough left to make any money with but I should get enough use of her to get my money's worth(maybe!).  The old machine is full of surprises, keeps me thinking what next? but it has kept on plodding along. 

Edited by DMiller - 23 Jul 2012 at 10:43am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:27pm
Willie at Chartrand got me taken care of for brakes, look almost new, I am changing both sides while down.  The seals arrived from Minnpar with the gaskets they had, they are in, the rest awaits time, probably Monday at the earliest to get back on it.  I am considering weld beef-up of the stationary link pivot on the brakes, my old bands showed wear from the shoes rocking backward against them.  Willie sent a better one of these(all he had left) and I may weld up and dress back one of the old ones to match.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 1:36pm
Well the old monster is back together, backed out of the shed this morning and turned twice then no more steering.  Put a pressure gauge on the clutch apply line, 110+/-#, not enough.  Has anyone dealt with the Hydreco style steering valve?   They have reliefs from each side for the steering and I am thinking they are now stuck open from dirt entry.  Kind of hard to have pressure then it all disappear at once.  Fluid is up to the mark and the filters new, can feel a pulse(while brakes held on) in the 'opposite' brake pedal when apply the clutch to one side and can get a little steering response if tap the opposite brake while attempting a turn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic