This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical issues
    Posted: 16 May 2012 at 8:57pm
Got the HD6G pretty much put back together. Bought some new batteries but cannot seem to get the generator to work. I had the generator checked at a shop, it works fine. Strung all new wires, hooked everything up correctly.
My question ?
Is this charging system worth trouble shooting and fixing or should I just get a One Wire Self Exciting 24v Alternator and be done?
Ebay has them for about $100.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:10pm
Unsure if they use a cut-out relay or a actual voltage regulator, but think for the $100 I would do a little more checking of machine first ,  these links are to Chev page but all the ideas will work with any generator system. 
 If that fails you should be able to pick up a 24V Delco Alt at bone yard locally , off heavy truck as many used them.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 2:20am
They use a voltage regulator; have just been down this road myself.
If you ground the field wire with engine running the generator should charge at max. proving regulator is the problem. On my regulator i dressed tthe points up with some 400 grit sandpaper and it all worked; overhauled generator to start with. They only put out about 10 amps charge.
But if i was lucky enough to have found a self regulating alternator for $100 i would have gone that way; that setup down at the bottom of the world here would be more like $500 for us !
Cheers merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 5:09am
Merv,

Our local bloke here (OZ) can do a new 24volt Bosch for about $300 amd will suggest the size of boat for a use for your generator.  Not $100 I admit!
Jay Tyrrell View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:42pm
Great link Coke,
Merv, I'm gonna try what you said a ground the field wire.
Now on a 24volt generator I should get 24 volts right? Or doesn't it work that way? 
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:37am
HD6G's are positive ground. My HD6G has the batteries wired negative ground. A previous owner replaced the negative wire to the starter motor with a red wire when he/she wired the batteries. It is my opinion that it does NOT make any difference except at the ammeter because the voltage regulator is polarized by jumpering bat to gen. Am I correct?
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:57am
Much of AC's equipment was positive ground.  Allis Electrical Engineering Division has some theoretical basis for their decision.  Believe it is available on an internet search.  May be of use.  

Good Luck - Orangeman
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:06pm
Hi Dozer; yes believe you are correct, my EP wasc hanged to negative earth bofore i got it.
Generator just needs polarising like you said. Mine allworks ok now charges about 10 amps. Admit a alternator would be better. Mac has altered several of his machines this way and i have a D4D alterd also. Believe alternators might be better for batterys; but in my case i went for the easiest cheapest option. yes i have deep pockets and short fingers ! !
Merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic