This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6080 Good & Bad??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6080 Good & Bad??
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:52am
Know nothing about 6080 ---thinking about looking at on an auction. Anybody out there have good or bad experience with one? -- What are "watchouts" or things to check closely?
Any idea of price range for say an avereage 6080? -- as with anything, condition is important factor - just trying to find a range to see if I can afford or where to walk away. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 12:31pm

In my opinion one of the 2 best tractors ever built by any manufacture.  Makes the JD 4020 look like a joke.  Make sure it has the thrust bearing update and that the tranny it self has the proper amount of oil don't get the rear end confused with the tranny plug.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:15pm
They have there good points and bad , good fuel efficent engines ,make sure it has the front ballancer on the front of the crank , its just another bearing , 6080,s have a 12 speed syncro transmissions that you can easily shift on the go , they are great hayin tractors !! Heres some bad points , just my opinions - you have to keep the engine wound up above the turbo to get any power ,the tractors just dont seem balanced right ,too much weight in the front will spin out on a cow dung pile ,the clutch and pto setups kinda different , both wear out way to quick , brakes are a pain to service, along with a poor handbrake setup ;; here in MO a good condition 6080 2 wheel drive will bring 7500- 10000; they were popular in the day , and alright , but i wont buy another , ill take a 180 any day !!
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:17pm
Howdy Doug,
TOO BAD you had a very bad experience with a Allis Chalmers 6080!! I had TWO for years and never put brakes in, only run throttle at one half because I had plenty of power. Most of the time I never used 4 wheel it pull it all. Have no complaints and buy again. My 2 cents.

Kurzy
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:01pm
not a 6080, but i have a 6060 ( the 63hp/8 speed version)and since i got it my other 3 tractors have been used very little, 5210 jd, 1355 oliver, 4020 jd, they for the most part stay in the barn now, it does not have the power of a 4020, but i would not trade my 6060 off and will gladly sell my unused jd 4020 diesel

it is the cheapest operating tractor that i have ever owned in the hp range, has more torque than any of the other three, 3x16s  in red clay rocky sod is no strain for the tractor
easy to mount and great visability.

the 6060 uses the same enjine as the 6080,except the 6080 is rated at more horsepower at the same rpm, and intercooled, where the 6060 is just turboed

Edited by ky wonder - 27 Apr 2012 at 8:02pm
i like old tractors of all colors
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:34pm

Doug has alot different experiences than I do we got 2 6080's and if money allowed I'd ad a third one as a dedicated loader tractor.  One has 9000 + hours just got it's first work done on it new throw out bearing and motor kit the other got had 7500 hrs before anything was done to it and if it wasn't for electrolysis that wouldn't have been needed.  We do alot of PTO work with both and haven't had any issues as far as brakes all either has need is a seal on the 84 model.  As far as weight balance if anything they are nose light we can drag a tandem fertilizer spreader through the mud till the tires stop turning on the speader and the front tires are not even cutting in on the tractor.  When we had a pto batch grain dryer we could run 20 - 22 hours on a tank of fuel - last fall as a auger tractor we unloaded 25,000 bu corn on a tank full.

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:38pm
Very happy with mine.  No problems at all.  Has many more modern features than a 180.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:27am
I kno alot of guys like the 6 thousand series tractors, but i just dont care for them, i never put brakes on mine, but several others, they are good on fuel, ill give them that, just helpless under 180O rpm, s , , id like to put a 301 in onethen you woud have something! !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic