This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budda 344, Oil level too high.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budda 344, Oil level too high.
    Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:36pm

Changed oil in my HD6G last weekend. 15w-40, exactly 3 gallons. Ran the engine, checked PSI (40), shut off engine and checked oil. It was a little past 1/2 on the dipstick marks, Perfect.

Ran the dozer for a hour.
The next day I checked oil again and it was past the full mark? 
Hasn't changed since. Is there a chance fuel is leaking into crankcase via the injector pump.
Maybe it's nothing.
I'd like to hear some opinions. 
Sponsored Links

LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:08pm
Sniff the dipstick and see if it smells like diesel if so then there probably is fuel in the oil, if not then take the plug loose and see if water starts coming out before the oil.

Could be the tractor is sitting different and the oil came to a different place on the dipstick.

Its probably nothing.

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 5:29am
Jay,

FWIW

If it is an American Bosch rotary then check the seal on the shaft of the primary pump.

I'm also told (no personal experience) that a faulty square O-ring on the oil filter stud (the hex below the fuel intake pipe) can leak fuel into the oil.
Jay Tyrrell View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 7:32am
The dozer was sitting level both times.
I'll check what injector pump it has on it and post. I don't think it's a Bosch.

Thanks
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 8:48am
It's fairly common for the shaft seals to leak on the rossa-master pumps too. Does this engine have a diaphram lift pump like a combine 226? If so then they can go out and pump fuel into the crankcase. IF you are getting fuel in the oil then it has to be one of the 2 pumps.
Yea, I can fix that.....
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:18am
My gut says I'm leaking fuel into the crank case. Theres no diaphram pump on the side of the block, just the injector pump.
If I do have to pull the injector pump, how big of a job is that?
Is the seal replacable without taking it to a diesel injector shop?
How bout getting it back in time?

Thanks for the help
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 11:31am
Rossa Master pump has 2 umbrella shapped O-rings on pump shaft. Pull the pump off the mounting flange and the shaft will stay inside the timing cover. You'll see the 2 O-rings half way down on the shaft. These seals face opposite each other, one sealing oil from the pump, the pther sealing fuel from the engine. remove these 2 and replace with new ones. Lube the new ones real well with Thrust spray lube, PB Blaster, or soething simular and while you psh the pump onto the shaft gently feed the first O-ring into the pump so as not to roll it backwards. The other will self feed due to it's mounting direction. Reassemble and done.Not as hard as it sounds, but you must make sure that the first O-ring goes in right as that's what seals the fuel from the oil.
Yea, I can fix that.....
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 5:24pm
During the production life of the HD6 was it available with either the Roosa Master or the American Bosch pump?  I have not seen an HD6 with a Roosa Master pump on it.  But suppose anything is possible. 
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:54pm
I am not familiar with the HD6's so I don't know what pump it has. I was assuming from the conversation above that it was a R-M.
If I have mislead anyone or givin incorrect information I appologise. I would never want to cause anyone more work than needed.

Edited by D-17_Dave - 24 Mar 2012 at 6:56pm
Yea, I can fix that.....
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:05pm
Never seen or heard of any HD6s with Roosas, only industrial and marine engines. The American Bosch PSB (very distinct with the hydraulic head standing verticle and injector ports standing verticle) has transfer pump mounted on bottom outside. When seal goes on the transfer pump, fuel goes into sump when engine is stopped, unless you shut off the fuel supply tap under tank or seat when you park the tractor. Injector pump does not have to come off to service transfer pump as you will see by its mounting.     Mac
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:06pm
Hay D-17, No apology needed. If I was afraid of a little extra work I'd never be trying to restore an old dozer.
After removing the side panel and doing some degreasing, the HD6G, does indeed have a Bosch injector Pump. Type PSB4A. I'll bet the primary pump has a diaphram leaking.
Looks like a pretty simple job to get in there.
Anyone have experience here?

Edited by Jay Tyrrell - 24 Mar 2012 at 8:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic