This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 720 Garden Tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 720 Garden Tractor
    Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 1:52pm
  Anyone ever put Briggs Vangaurd in a 720 to replace the original onan engine  i was wondering if there where any major modifications have to be made to hood or any other part of tractor      thanks 190xt
Sponsored Links

accoll View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 3:42pm
My 616 is repowered with a M20 Kohler Magnum engine, Had to alter hood to have dual exhaust stacks. Front clutch may be a problem, I do not mow with mine.  Runs excllent, plenty of power.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 6:04pm
Check out Small Engine Warehouse. They sell repower kits for most all popular garden tractors using B&S, Kohler OHV, and Honda small engines.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 8:16pm
  thanks for the info 190 xt
bigallis1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigallis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 8:59pm
Go to www.simpletractors.com 
Lots of info there about conversions on these tractors.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 9:23pm
Any of the replacement engines must have a kit to install them in the tractor. You'll need a spacer plate to raise and locate the engine properly in the engine compartment. You'll also need an addapter to mount the oem drive pulley, an addapter plate to mount the oem clutch, and an addapter for the wiring harness and throttle controls. Most replacement engines require removing the baffle in the hood for air cleaner clearance and the new muffler can be close to the battery and cause problems with heat and engine cooling.
Some of the pro's to an upgrade are the Onan's are ussually down quite a bit in power so the jump above 22/23/24HP can really wake up an older tired tractor. That in it's self can make most of the negative issues seem insignificant after seeing what these little tractors can really do.
All that said, I have a Honda conversion used for sale if your interested. Used, but priced accordingly. Changing it out if favor of a diesel engine project I'm working on.
Yea, I can fix that.....
bigallis1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigallis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:02am
Dave, I forgot to mention you in my earlier post as being one of the resident experts on these tractors.
Glad you saw the post.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:15am
Thanks Jim. but I have no claim at being an expert on anything. I just happen to have several of these great little tractors and I love to pass along any information that some one else may find usefull. Thanks for the compliment though.
Yea, I can fix that.....
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:25am
I have nad good experience with Small Engine Warehouse.  The replacment Vangaurd for my old Grasshopper dropped right in just as they said it would...
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic