This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got asked today what this HD7 is worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got asked today what this HD7 is worth?
    Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:46pm
The motor is free, supposedly ran when parked.  Central Kansas.  Ideas?

Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Sponsored Links

LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 5:04pm
Whatever it goes for in scrap, or best offer. If it turns over then it pays to make it run, then its worth quite a bit more.

I notice a lot of "unknown if it runs,engine rotates" stuff on Craigslist lately...should have asked grandpa about it before he died and they have to try to sell it.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 9:13am
3-71 Detroit, the machines seem to never have lit the fire under many people and were never high in popularity for some reason.  Shop out in Rogers MN had one setting for years and never sold it . Little harder to find parts for then many. Engine parts are easy it's the rest of machine that become the problem.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 9:21am
Thanks guys, heard back from him yesterday, was asking $2500.00, guy called, brought a battery along, and it fired right up, drove like a dream, everything worked but a small cylinder leak, and drove it on the trailer.  Part of me says $2500 as it sits, if you try to run it before we have a deal, and it runs another $1000, but I don't know, I don't want to be a jerk either, at that cheap there needs to be risk involved for the buyer????
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:37am
thats about the value the guy had on the one i mentioned , he had it sitting on consignment I believe and guy wanted $2500 back then .. that would be tops for running machine in my guess. Then guess I would not sell my HD5G for less than $5,500 and to find someone to buy it might be hard. So will keep it .. LOL
 Remember it's a old machine and will not do the work easily a newer machine will do . that straight blade limits it's usefulness in doing real work outside personal playing.
 A machine with Power angle tilt (PAT 6 way) will do more withthe blade than you can do in 10 times the time spent with this machine. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 1:06pm
I'm with Coke, they aren't a bad little machine but not worth a lot of money without even an angle blade.
Also...tracks that tight usually mean something is worn out in the undercarrage and they tightened it up to make the tracks stay on.

I like it though, its a nice enough looking machine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 3:25pm
I agree about the usefulness, we have one also, has a different dozer setup, but you are correct it takes lots of work to get the job done.
Still in use:
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 8:59pm
The HD5B I had used a 9 ft blade , you could adjust it for angle by sliding side rails as the center was pinned into U frame with center pivot point. 
 The blade wasn't real high (24" or so) and the amount of material you could get on blade was small .
  I replaced all the linkage like on the 7 pictured with 2 - 36" cylinders to get better down pressure and better lift. I built front supports to anchor these cylinders. 
  Would not work well in hard ground, full blade created using 1st gear. 
I could push more material faster with the 5G bucket than I could with dozer. The FD5 with 6 way blade at 7ft and being 38" or more in height would carry more material and bairely slowed down with full blade . Now the 3-71 would be about 25 HP more than HD5 so might give more umph to push but still is going to be slow .    
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 6:36pm

Quote Part of me says $2500 as it sits, if you try to run it before we have a deal, and it runs another $1000, but I don't know, I don't want to be a jerk either, at that cheap there needs to be risk involved for the buyer????

If I heard something like that when i went to look at a piece of equipment, Id walk off.   HOW RUDE!!!  Your looking/buying a 60+ year old piece of machinery,  isnt that risk?  If the owner is too lazy or cant make time to prepare a machine for sale then the risk should be his.  Maby the buyer gets lucky, maby not.  You dont jack the price because someone else took the responsibility of finding the actual condition of the machine. 

No offense meant, that just doesnt sit well with me....

Edited by CAL(KS) - 18 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 1:21am
Orange Blood, you buying or selling?

If you are selling it for $2500 then $2500 is the price, if I went to buy something and made it run and they jacked the price on me I'd just hand them a bill for a mechanic call out for the difference.

If you try to jack up the price then you are in fact a jerk (if that is what you are doing...)
You want another $1000 then start out asking $3500 after you put a battery in it and make it run....jeez

(If I've misunderstood something and I'm wrong then I apologize) 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:08pm
No Logger Lee, I am not selling or buying, I was just throwing out my thoughts, I clearly said, I don't know about doing that.

The point I was thinking about which I left out was IF I were selling something for X number of dollars, listed as not running, that sale should be done before the tinkering goes on, i.e. I don't want you working on my equipment trying to get it running without the sale made, so if you break something, or hurt yourself, where does that leave me.  You are correct, IF I decided to make it run first then I can ask more, but I don't think it's right to go to someones place, look at a piece of equipment that is listed as "None Running" at x dollars, then basically make the deal only if you get it running.  I am not saying I have done this, or would do it, it was just a thought.

No offense taken, thanks for discussing this.  :-)
Still in use:
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 8:41am
now i can agree with that. thank you for clarifying
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:33am
Well the way I've always done it.
I go look at the tractor the way it is, if its supposed to run then I want to hear it run.
If its not a runner then I deal on it the way it is, once a deal is made I usually try starting the tractor because they are easier to load that way, if it runs good if not then I'll have to load it another way.
But a non running tractor I never try to get running until we've made a DEAL (meaning I hand him the money and he gives me a bill of sale) the way it is.

Bought a TD9 dozer last year, paid $1800 cause' the engine was froze up and had antifreeze in the oil, I figured it was a good deal because the undercarrage and blade were worth what I paid, pushed it on the trailer, hauled it home and had it running that afternoon. Me and the fella selling it were both happy, so that worked just right.

I'm not a fan of the variable deal, If the price is more than I want to pay then I leave them my offer and don't pester them farther, if they decide to take my offer then all they have to do is call. (I'll bring a battery and try to start something that "runs" but if it wont start with minimal effort then it doesn't "run")
Once I tell someone that I'll buy something then I'm buying it, even if I find a better deal or have second thoughts.

That is how I do it and so far I've never had anyone mad at me, and I've never been mad at them.

I'm glad that I misunderstood you Orange Blood! 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 4:32pm
Basically I think we all agree.  So now that the baseline is understood, how does one handle a guy or gal, that comes over and looks at an item listed as non running, at X dollars, and wants to get it running before they make a deal, or discuss price.  The thought I was trying :-) to throw out there was, if we don't have a deal yet, and you get it running, it will cost more.  This should discourage their plans to tinker on it until after they own it, but like I said above, I don't want to be a jerk about it, or do I just say nope, it's AS IS, right here right now.  Normally I do all the buying, and the only selling I do typically is of running equipment.
Still in use:
LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:59pm
I'd just tell them that I'm not in the mood to have someone mess it all up trying to get it running, if they want to cross my palm with the asking price then they are welcome to tinker with they're new equipment for a little while before they need to get it out of there.

As long as you say it nicely then I don't see the problem with that.
The price is as is where is, I've had guys tell me that and I can respect it, but I always ask for a few days to get stuff out (locked up finals and sticky tracks can take a while)

I don't think you are being a jerk to tell them the price is "as is where is".
In fact that would be the only deal I'd make with someone that wasn't a friend.

Edited by LoggerLee - 21 Mar 2012 at 11:02pm
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:50am
An old piece of construction equipment like this HD7 is worth different amounts of money to each individual. When buying an old dozer all a person can do is check that it is all there and the possible fix it up costs. I am one of these frugal people that has to make my money for fun stuff like old dozers go as far as possible. Most of my machines cost me more than I expected and when I sold them they were in far better condition than when I bought them. But I had a lot of fun fixing them up and was happy to see them go to a new home. I had one of these old HD7's with the 3-71 motor. The Detroit Diesel was reliable to start and inexpensive to repair. From the pictures I think it is a good value for $2500 but I would try to talk him down a little on the price. What is it worth to you? That is my two cents comment. Good luck and have fun.
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:35pm
AC HD-7 were good old dozers, but a lot of improvements showed up postwar, especially in AC.  (War Dept had frozen designs to maximize production during the war).... I've had 2 HD-7's and enjoyed operating them.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:15pm
Orange Blood, I happen to have the identical twin to the 7 you have pictured. The neighbor gave me and older Case backhoe and said that I would have to take the "Cat" with it, to make a long story short, I drove them both home and I have to tell you I really like the old "7", quite, smooth, a bit tired but well maintained. The 3-71 a "low block" the difference being the liners and head gasket, still available, every thing else is pretty much the same. I would much rather listen to the smooth DD @1500 RPMs verses a cackling D4. The 14's were not well received in this area back in the day, there were quite a few 10's and a few 7's. I like mine, it will make an operator out of you, I haven't got there yet for a 70 year old tractor I would say it is still doing pretty well and I like to tell people (we know who they are) who look down their noses at anything but yellow "I beats the heck out of using a shovel" It's value??? is whatever someone is willing to pay  Tad

who has more fun than people on tractors?? especially if it is an HD7

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/T1KGvx55kjc[/TUBE]

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 8:00am
Tad, what are you growing out there besides rocks?LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:31pm
The 7 pictured is not mine, but we do have an orange HD7, and I have always enjoyed using it.  One of the steering clutches will not release, so it take twice as long to do anything, since turning one way is great, but turn the other way, is a back-up job :-(

Anyway I agree the little 3-71 is a pretty good little engine.

Thanks again for all the comments, great discussion.
Still in use:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic