This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

200 is split.. flywheel bolts???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 is split.. flywheel bolts???
    Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:53pm
Please tell me that the good people from Allis Chalmers did not put the 3/8 in allen head bolts in the flywheel... I feel that is a bad call. Nearly impossible to get them out with locktite on them. Also, did the 200 come from the factory with a 6 pad clutch disc? if not, this would answer a couple questions I have about the job.
Sponsored Links

Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:32pm
My 7000 has 12 point bolts if I remember correctly.  I don't remember seeing in the service manual anything that called for allen head fasteners.  Sounds like someone went in there before.  As for the 6 puck disc, I don't think that was stock either.  That is usually sold as the HD replacement.  Stock for that tractor, I believe, was a 4 puck disc.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:32pm
Oh, and loctite, definitely not from the factory.  I didn't find a bolt on that engine that had loctite when I tore it down.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Don Smith View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:38pm
I have put a little heat from a torch on the head of a bolt that has loctite on it also buy a new allen wrench before you try to remove those allen srews! be sure and put the correct bolts back in when you are ready to button it up. HTHS Don in Indiana
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 12:27am
My 210 had 3 12-pt. and 3 Allen head, figure that one out.
Bruce Nelson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 10:01am
Allis did use 3/8" allen bolts. I had to buy a new driver from Snap On with 1/2" drive to get them loose back in the 70's and 80's. The threads had some kind of sealant or LocTite on them also. I do not remember a 6 pad disc. That doesn't mean there never was one. I don't remember installing one ever.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 12:02pm
I did the same as Bruce, although I bought mine from snap on 7 years ago and was talking to the salesman as I spun the bolts out.  Broke his brand new socket right in front of him on the last bolt.  He gave me another one and it got the bolt out.  once someone stole my tool box and the socket with it.  Had to use a Craftsman on my 210 this winter.  The bolts are described in the manual when you torque them depends on the bolt (Allen head or 12 point) for the torque setting on the wrench.
nickia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 4:12pm
use some heat on them or you'll break every wrench yo put on them
orange paint View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange paint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 6:18pm

Is it recomended you replace the bolts that are heated?

Ricky D View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 8:46pm
I've had pretty good success using a socket type allen wrench with an impact gun. Work them both ways briefly each way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic