This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting radiator tanks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting radiator tanks?
    Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:18pm
I'm gettin ready to paint the brass radiator tanks  on my unstyled wc. I'm wondering what to use for primer and any tricks to makin it stick.
Sponsored Links

acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:30pm

Do not paint the top tank, just shine the brass up good,  makes the tractor  look better.

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:43pm
The more paint there is on a radiator, the less heat can be radiated.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:22pm
In my opinion I would paint it because thats how they originally were, but its your tractor so you can do what you want.  When I painted mine I just primed it with the Restoration series primer from valspar.  No problems with it not sticking and its been on there for 3 years.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 7:39am
In most cases, as long as the proper primer is used with its mating paint that's being used the heat from the radiator shouldn't effect it much if at all. Paint that flakes off, or that comes off in sheets is usually the cause of using the incorrect primer or poor prepping of the surface for the primer to have adhesion to. I'm not a bodyman, but have learned a lot over the years about the materials used and applications from my bodyman that paints my cars and tractors.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 7:46am
Howdy,
When I was still restoring tractors, I used heat paint!!

Kurzy
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 7:59am
Properly  prepared, any good primer or paint will adhere. Don't apply more paint than necessary for good coverage , especially to the core as it will not dissapate heat  with a thick coating.  When I re-core a radiator, I sandblast any steel parts that are rusty , side straps, shrouds, etc.  and prime them  ; sometimes I prime the tanks ,too, but never the core.
I started out years ago with nothing.... after this divorce , I'll be getting most of it back.........
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:09am
I'd use an 'etching primer' unless previously sandblasted. Brass is very 'slippery' and paint needs 'tooth' to stick to .
Also use a good solvent to clean before painting.ANY oil,anitfreeze,silicone,etc. on the surface,even a drop, will NEVER allow the paint to properly stick.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:25am
My vote is to paint it, just like it came from the factory.

The key, like stated above, is to use a good solvent (wax/grease remover).

Also, I recommend NOT using body filler on the rad. Best thing to do is clean it, then prime and paint.

Our family WC has ran basically all day on tractor drives in June, still looks good.

Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
EricSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:51pm
Thats a very nice looking wc Don
Stephen12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:24am
Hello, could you share with me which product you used? I also want to renovate mine, but I'm not sure if there is a specific paint or product for radiators. While searching on Google, I found a paint that seems effective, but since I don't have any experience, I don't want to take the risk, especially since I don't want to waste my money. Thank you in advance for your sharing.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:50am

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the Forum.

How about completing your Profile so we all can get to know you better.

Also post a picture of your Tractor you are going to Paint.

Otherwise we might think your Posting on this 10 year old Post might be a SPAM
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 6:39am
Who plans to ever work an unstyled WC hard enough to have overheating issues?
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic