This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identify Model G Implements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:22pm
Dick, the G loader does not use any equipment associated with a regular G.  The loader hydraulics is separate and is powered by a pulley attached to a shaft that threads into the (motor) crankshaft, after unthreading the claw that engages the hand crank. The hydraulic tank mounts in front of the operator and has a hand valve on top of the tank; pressure up and gravity down.
The shank on Jims disc coulter is square and is shown square on all Allis literature that I have seen. The individual round shanks in one of Jims photos are for something else.
Based on the gage wheel, Jims plow was mfged prior June 1949; subsequent gage wheels (rim and spokes) were fabricated from formed sheet metal; per Dealers Repair Parts Catalog for Model G Implements published Feb 1953. This and other sources note a 14" diameter disc but I have not found a photo or literature that describes the disc being flat or concave. Over the years I have seen several dozen discs and this is the first flat disc that I have seen (the disc appears flat in Jims initial photo; not sure about the disc in his most recent photo).
The spit hydraulic system is typical of Allis Chalmers innovative design capabilities; effective and inexpensive.  The only applications that I know of is for R & L moldboard plows and R & L disc plows.; Gerald J.'s earlier post also mentioned possible use on 2-row cultivators.  
CAUTION: When plows are mounted on G's (with split hydraulic lifts) that are vulnerable to inquisitive people, recommend securing the plows or levers so someone operating the lever can not cause the plow to drop to the ground and cause injury to someones foot, etc. I never thought about this when showing my G at Hickory Corners (lucked out), but then realized above and had plows secured when showing at Asheville/Arden, N.C. a couple years later. Herb
Sponsored Links

Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:28pm
Sure enough, I left something out.  The thought that Jims plow is RH is correct; the plow moving through the soil throws the dirt to the right thus making it a Right Hand plow. Herb
jameshensel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:29pm
Herb,  I will take a better picture of the coulter when I get out to the barn and post.

The dating of the plow seems to date it with the serial number on the G itself.

Jim
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:26am
I don't have plow bottom and coulter information for the G, but the coulters for larger AC tractor plows were in the plow bottom book and there were coulters with dished blades and coulters with straight blades. One bigger plows I've not used anything but a straight coulter blade. Like bottoms it appears that coulters were ordered separately from plow frames so the options were numerous.

Gerald J.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:52am
I have an
 A.C. Service Manual that covers the G, B&C, CA Tractors       79003403
Dealers Parts Catalog Model G Tractor                  form D-12  79003102
Dealers Parts Catalog for Model G Implements      form D-11

The above are all by Allis Chalmers

I also have a manual that is a copy of Allis Chalmers manuals by Jensales Company.

Operators Manual Model G Implements 
In this manual it states that the coulter is concave, and to adjust it to correct for the plow causing the tractor to pull to the right or left.
This Manual covers 
  G Fertilzer
  Field Cultivator
  1 Row Comb.pltor
  1 Row Cultivator
  60,80 In Tool Bar
  1 Row Bedder
  #4 Mower
  R & L Mtd Plow
  R & L Mtd Disc Plow
  Fertilzer Side Dr
  Front Mtd Seeders

James, your #8 Intertec Publishing AC-11, what is Model F ?  

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Scott(GA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

James, your #8 Intertec Publishing AC-11, what is Model F ?  
Dusty

Dusty,

I can't speak for James but I suspect - based on my copy of what would seem to be the same publication - that James dropped a "W" from in front of the "F".  I think it should be WF not F.

Best regards,

Scott
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:49pm
Here are pictures of the flat coulter.  As you can see it is not concave (or convex).

Jim

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:08am
Also I see that it has 3 bolts instead of 3 rivets that hold it to the bearing assembly. I have 2 pair of right and left plows, all four have concave coulters and are riveted together. One of them has a bad crack in it. Anyone know where I can find a new one?

Dusty
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 9:48am
My plow bottoms book doesn't cover the G  plow or coulter, but there its interesting that the flat coulters are mounted to their hubs with 3 to 6 bolts while the curved coulters all have square holes and their hubs fit on shafts that the shafts turn in tapered roller bearings. The flat coulters often spin on fixed shafts. The square shaft hole in the curved coulter makes those look suspiciously like disk cultivator parts, available from many sources by diameter, thickness, and hole size. It might take a grinder or a plasma cutter to get bolt holes in those critters to mount on the G.

Another difference I see is that the flat coulters mount on trailing arms, generally with swivels so they can move as trash builds up, while the curved blade coulters all mount rigedly, like the G coulter.

Point is, it could well be that the pictured G coulter is a replacement from some other implement when the curved coulter wasn't available, or the user didn't like the side thrust of the curved coulter.

Gerald J..
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 10:35am
My take on coulters.
Flat coulters are for cutting the sod ahead of the plow and cutting corn stalks so they didn't build up in the plow and plug it.
The concave coulters cut trash much better and rolled it over ahead of the plow bottoms thus did a much better job of covering the trash up. The square shaft is because it needed to be held just so to work right.
There were after market kits with the concave coulters to go on plows that came with flat coulters. 

Dusty
singingpig View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 11:23am
RE: the discs on round shafts.

In the context of cultivating, they could be used for hilling.

They could be useds like a coulter rolling ahead of the cultivator  to cut a line in the soil so the cultivator won't pop a big clod up that takes out part of your crop row.

They could be run next to or slightly behind the cultivator sweeps to act as a rolling crop shield.

James,  with strawberry implements, did you find it in the Gresham/Troutdale area?

Can you give us a better shot of the lift mechanism...haven't seen one like that before

Edited by singingpig - 31 Oct 2011 at 11:28am
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 1:52pm
The manual I have is the Dealers Parts Catalog for Model G Implements form D-11 that Dusty mentioned above. I think it is from 1956. Over 200 pages.
It covers:
Assemblies and Packaged Parts . . . . . . . . pg 214
Disc Plows . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 42
Fertilizer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 130
Field Cultivator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 171
Front Mounted Moldboard Plows . . . . . . . . pg 17
Front Mounted Planters . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 68
Independent Gang Cultivators . . . . . . . . . pg 153
Master Hand Lift . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 4
Master Tool Carrier & Drawbars . . . . . . . . . pg 10
No. 4 Power Mower . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 189
Numerical Index . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 215
One Row Bedder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 49
Rear Furrowing Bar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 12
Seeder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 113
Side Dresser . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 141
Single Row Cultivator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 174
Tool Bar Cultivator . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 162
Two Row Drill Planter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pg 57
Detailed exploded diagrams of all the above with part numbers/substitutions and quantities listed.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 2:12pm
Dick,  you are a master magician.  YES, the universal end of the square shaft screws into the input shaft on the surmised strawberry straw remover.  I think I am missing parts at the other end unless it can plug into the #4 mower some how.    That is the only implement I have that has rotational work the same direction as this shaft.

Jim Hensel, Portland, Oregon
oldironguy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldironguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 5:05pm
Jim,

Another of life's mysteries solved!

The discussion about by the coulters has me thinking about them too; especially given that you have strawberry equipment.  The clamps that fit the rear furrowing bar will accept both rectangular and round shanks.  Might these two coulters have been mounted on the rear toolbar and run along the sides of the beds like an edger cutting runners and confining the strawberry plants within the bed?

Dick

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:12pm
Dick, I was told by the second owner (my seller) that cutting the runners was important so you could be right.  The second owner thought  that the straw remover was a weeder though.

Here is what my rear toolbar clamps look like.  Not sure how a round shank could fit in these.  Thoughts?

I dismantled the toolbar today and this clamp was on it with nothing attached.  Any idea what it is for?

oldironguy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldironguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 9:39pm
Jim,

I beleive those are the tool bar clamps for the 60" double toolbar. The rear furrowing bar is made of much larger bar stock and uses a larger clamp. To be clear, do you understand that the rear furrowing bar is a large U shaped piece that mounts around the engine and carries cultivator shoes behind the engine to obliterate tire tracks. I cannot tell from your photo if you have this feature on your tractor.  If you do, there will be a second hydraulic cylinder behind the battery box. The furrowing bar was an option so not all G tractors have it.

Dick  
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 10:37pm
These clamps are bigger than the ones on the 60" tool bar and came off of these which I believe are the rear tool bars. I have the yoke on the tractor and the clamp plates are rattling around the yoke waiting for the rear tool bars to be slipped in place.

I agree that the clamps in the implement book look different - two U-bolts for each clamp.  Maybe mine are home made or from an earlier model.    The look very simpliar to the clamps for the 60" tool bar, just bigger.  If you look closely, in the upper left of the picture are the clamp blocks for the 60" tool bar clamps.  You can see that they are smaller.  

I do have the second cylinder behind the battery box.

Just as an aside, the spring tooth harrow in the picture (one of two) I believe some how attaches to the rear tool bars to complement the one that attaches to the Master Tool Carrier and is pictured early in this string of posts.

Jim Hensel
Portland, Oregon

singingpig View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 8:03am
James,

those are the rear toolbars in the foregroound. The stock clamps had round U-bolts that held the tools so you could indeed put a round shank in the back. The stock 1-row cultivators I have seen also had round U-bolts for mounting tools so they could use round shanks. Tony Carbaugh had one set up with hilling discs with round shanks. 

I bought a 2inch square tubing, dual toolbar that had the clamps you pictured...they held knives and sweeps with rectangular shanks.

People just use whatever combination of clamp/shank that will give them the tool they need to do the job.
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 11:12am
As Dick mentioned, the 60"double toolbar is smaller (just measure mine - 3/4" x 1 1/2") than the rear furrowing bar (3/4" x 2 1/4").  Your U shaped clamps laying on the wood boards are for 60" double toolbar. Your 2 U-bolts for each clamp (second para of your last post) are for rear furrowing bar. And as Singingpig noted, the G toolbars (front & rear) are ideal for attaching whatever implement works for you.  I plan attaching a couple clusters of Lilliston Rolling cultivator spiders to a couple G's for next years gardening.
Joerollins71 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joerollins71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:11pm
You got the link for the 10 book for the All is Chalmers G Modle
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshensel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:18pm
I still host digital copies of all the Model G books I was able to locate.  Many of the files were derived from the original books in my possession so the digital copy is very good.  Hope this helps.  Not sure how many implement books there are.

It would be great if someone knew a way to host these documents here.  I sold my G several years ago so I don't know how long I will continue to host these.  

Jim

Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:14am
Hi all just looking at that plow disk . that plow will never work unless it has a concave disk on it that straight disk sitting on that angle will pull the tractor all over the place . the concave disk is used to chip the edge of the furrow off this helps to cover  the stubble .
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic