This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5G steering clutches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5G steering clutches
    Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 10:17am
I got my HD5G that I bought on an auction a few weeks ago home now, and I need to do some work on the steering clutches, both are stuck. Would work good for going straight back and forth, but I might need to turn some time! LOL! Any way, does anyone know where I can get a service manual for one of these outfits? Or have a service manual that they could copy the pages on the steering clutches out of and send to me for a small fee? I did re-do the left hand steering clutch on an HD5 about 15 years ago, and I would assume it's the same on this 5G, but even so, sometimes I can't remember what I did yesterday, much less 15 years ago! Any help would be greatly appreciated, as me and my 14 year old son are quite excited to tear into this project. Thanks,Darrel
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 10:25am
I have a complete service manual copy I made and is single sided . about 200 pages . can work something out if you need one.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 4:13pm
good to see another hd5 being repaired. good project for dad and son. they are not too bad to do just kinda time consuming. if the discs need replacing, use ceramic discs and they will not stick again. i have alot of parts if you need something let me know. good luck with it and post some pics.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 3:18pm
Dadsdozer, are parts such as the ceramic discs still available for these older track machines, or do you just have a stash of them from days gone by? I will need a cover plate for the left side clutch for sure if you have one, but it'll be a while until I get to that point,Thanks, Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 3:23pm
HD11 discs work in the HD5 drum , just a different number used as the 11 is a larger size in depth but the same in content. have them in mine also .
 have a bunch of the friction discs out of couple of HD5 units but used.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 8:57pm
Just a thought to try, would running the dozer head into a load with both steering clutch levers pulled the sharp applied load might break the clutch packs loose. I've done this on ag tractors with a single clutch disc was stuck. You still have the reverser to back away and try several times.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 9:21pm
They are a multi-plate clutch with discs with teeth on the inner splined steel plates transmitting the drive power to the outer geared plates that drive the drum.
 The fiber plates can be dammaged with shock load if to much force is applied.
Better to plug the case drain , fill with fuel oil , block the clutch handles back to unload the pressure plate and let it soak to try to break bond free.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 7:24pm
i agree with coke, shock load will do  more damage. take the covers off first and make sure the clutches are trying to be disengaged and not have a throwout bearing sticking. the discs may even be stuck to the drum as well as to the steel discs so may be double trouble. the ceramic discs are still available new. coke knows where, i want to say thill tractor but cannot remember where they are. plug the steering compartments, put fuel oil in them and run with the clutches tied or held back. let sit and try several times over several days as it takes a while to soak in. kerosene may work better as i heard it soaks and loosens stuck motors well, never tried it myself. i have a cover if you need one.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 7:57pm
As a rule shock loads do not work, nor to penetrants, dumping in diesel fuel is a total waste of time and detrimental, it will do nothing but make a mess and that is all. They are stuck together by moisture and rust, petroleum products do not cut or soften rust, it is water based, a low PH water/ acid solution (usually phosphoric acid) is more apt to cut or soften iron oxides and if you put in diesel or kerosine first, you might as well not bother with any other step.  I have had a modicum of success by leaving the clutch housing dry, remove the brake band, over adjust the clutch pack open and the rattle the beegeebers out of the drum with a pneumatic hammer with a flush rivet set so as not to mar it up, but it is kinda like hooking up hydraulic hoses, you have 50% chance of getting it right and a 100% chance of getting it wrong, the same with stuck clutches, a 50% chance of freeing them and a 100% chance of not (insert smiley face here) good luck, but plan on going in.

Who has more fun than people on tractors??  Preferably ones that steer.  :-)Tad
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 8:13pm
Huh, it's hard to argue with success! 
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:15pm
i was just thinking, would an electrolisys setup work, using the turning clutch compartmane as the tank, scrap metal as the sacrificial lamb. would it eat away the rust in the clutches? i may have to try it on just an old clutch pack to see if it will work. once free, wash out and clean out the old gunk. at least it may free them up.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:01pm
no would be my answer as the solution would have to penetrate inside clutch pack and if drive and driven disks are frozen together nothing will reach them.
 Electrons or whatever will flow to the easiest area to complete the circuit and not to inside hidden areas. besides there would be no way to isolate the two sections , then also the fiber clutch are non conductive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic