This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Live Hydraulics project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 9:41pm
JK, sorry- I went back and checked my posting... dunno why I posted 2.6gpm, SHOULD be 2.6 CUBIC INCHES per Revolution.  At 1800rpm, that comes out to 20gpm.

I WOULD have gone with a vane-pump, but I frequently idle the D17 way down to 'creep' it carefully into position.  My Clark IT-60 HAD a vane-pump (and closed-center hydraulics) and regularly shelled out (and seized up) vane pumps, but worst of all, when it was idled-down, it went so slow that the vanes would retract, and there'd be no lift or tilt, no steering (yikes!) and general uselessness of the machine at low speed.

My general expectation is, that no matter WHAT I run, I don't think I'll ever run an implement that needs more than 20gpm at 2000psi... and it'd probably be a ditch-mower (flail, etc) or something similar.  To get that, I'll be at max goverened speed.  When using a log-splitter, or the backhoe unit, I don't think I'll need more than 5-6gpm, so burbling along at 650rpm will be just fine.
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 9:38am
And Sensei-  I looked at the Steiner ref, and it's cool that they have a coupler listed... I found it curious, however, that it didn't list it as fitting the Allis tractors... seein's how it does, in fact, bolt up.

Then I looked closer...

Your coupler is listed as being a 1" x 20 spline shaft, which is a common standard size for SAE2 and SAE3 hydraulic pumps.

I used a less-common standard 7/8 x 13 spline shaft, because it will fit down the center of the stock bolster crank-hole.

A 1" shaft won't fit my Series 1 bolster... if I remember correctly, the bolster hole was just big enough for the 7/8" shaft to fit and engage the coupler, and leave mebbie 0.060" 'play' before striking the bolster bore, and a 1" was too big to allow a proper lineup.   I sure hope it'll fit yours...

Edited by DaveKamp - 28 Nov 2011 at 9:39am
SenseiCrusher View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SenseiCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:55pm
Hi Dave, I have the project finished, the adapter I bought is for a 1" 10 spline not a 20 spline. The Max shaft OD at the adapter (splines) is 1.0". The adapter bolted right up to the pully. The shaft area where it goes through the bolster is 0.8 inches. The ID clear on my D17 series 1 is 1.30". It fit through with no issues of alignment at all and I can remove it with no problems! 
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 10:55pm
Hi SC!

Cool that it all fits! if it's clearing okay, then power to 'ya!!!

I"m wondering why Steiner has it listed, but doesn't include the compatibility to AC...???

Between a barrage of business road-assignments, I've been working on my snowblade installation, so haven't made much progress on my live hydraulic setup... but I'll get back to it in a bit.  Eventually, my snowblade (a 7.5' Meyer) will lose it's electric hoist/swing system, and get quick-connectors and a lift ram for using the live hydraulic system, but for now it'll be using a battery.  Stay tuned!

nsula_country View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsula_country Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:28pm
I have a Farmall 504 diesel of 1962 vintage. Early 2nd year. It has a crank pulley that also has hand crank finger bosses. It also has a hole for a crank in the bolster! Who hand cranks a diesel? I feel they were using up old parts at the time!

CT
2014 LS P7010C, 1962 Farmall 504 Diesel (1st tractor) w/ 2008 Koyker 220 FEL, 1968 Allis Chalmers 180 Diesel, Komatsu PC38UU-2 Excavator, Various attachments for all!
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 9:41pm
To make modernizing your tractor easier, we offer these front mounting kits for purchase. No machining required. Make sure your front pulley has provision to bolt adapter hub!

Tractors earlier than: D14 engine serial #149-11562/ tractor serial #11476 and D17 gas tractor serial #15931/diesel tractor engine #104840 DID NOT leave the factory with the front pulley that has the 4-bolt pattern for adapter hub.

www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic