This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The small Grain Farmer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The small Grain Farmer
    Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 5:50am
I was thinking of growing a acre of wheat an acre of oaks, and  two acres of corn. I have sheep and  I would grow my own feed. I have a corn picker, and a all crop 66 I have never used. There are two all crops up the road from me they are 72 . How many of you are a small grain farmer?  How small are you? I grow Vegetable so I do not have time to grow much grain. I do think that having the  equipment it would be cheaper than buying the feed. Your in put please.
Sponsored Links

BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 6:02am
For no more acreage than that I don't see how it would pay for even the upkeep on the equipment unless it's your favorite hobby.On the other hand I couldn't see finding someone that does custom combining that would come for that amount.
John WV View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John WV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 6:14am
I raise 4 arces of corn 3 barley and 3 rye and harvest all with my allcrop 60 I have found that feeding all your grain to livestock you can get more out of it. I raise bottle calves.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 7:16am
Sometimes I think that farming that amount with my Allis equipment would be just right, Darrel
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 12:45pm
I have no idea what your current feed costs you. I have four acres set aside that I use for my Allis play box. Been rotating between wheat and soy beans -- plow, disk, plant, havest with Allis toys. Don't know how much feed you need either.  If you enjoy doing this stuff, might work out for you. On the flip side - you might actually end up spending more dollars - again don't know how many sheep you have and your current costs - but there are costs involved -- seed, fertilizers, sprays, etc.  The fun rewards -- priceless!
RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 1:59pm
With todays prices of seed, fertilizer,spray,fuel and combining you have to wiegh the costs both ways.If you like going out and working a little to subsidize your feed thats ok,but it may cost you more in the long run.
We have 20+acres of wheat,19acres of hay,12acres of oats,15acres of corn and after we harvest wheat we will plant 20+acres of late soybeans this season.
My gut feeling for you is it will be cheaper just to buy your feed and have a BIG garden for your family..
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 2:06pm
If making money was the primary metric of Allis hobby farmers, we would abandon the cause. 

Go have fun with your toys! Be happy you have a place to utilize the byproducts of your activities.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by GlenninPA GlenninPA wrote:

If making money was the primary metric of Allis hobby farmers, we would abandon the cause. 

Go have fun with your toys! Be happy you have a place to utilize the byproducts of your activities.

I just didnt want to see him get his hopes up that he going to SAVE money on an acre of this and and acre of that. By allmeans go have fun,beats sitting on the couch..Lol
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 4:28pm
Depends, if you don't have many inputs and have time to cultivate it you should be able to come out even or ahead. You don't have to use roundup, you know.

I'm doing a VERY small plot (1/4 acre) of corn with my Gravely walk behind. We've got horse manure and we don't use herbicides or pesticides. When I get my B going I'll acquire a few implements for it and do a larger plot. Right now we're just testing out different open pollinated varieties and hoping to feed our chickens.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 7:59pm
  Hello Wood    Were BIG time farmers 2 sc sweet corn, 1 ac pumpkins and my son makes 1000+ bales of hay. We use only Allis Chalmers,  the newest is a D19D,  not making any money but having a lot of fun.
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 8:16pm

How may bushel of wheat, oats and corn do you expect you will be able to harvest?  Now what would be the cost to buy that same amount of grain?  From buying the seed, working the land, to harvesting, how much money are you going to have invested in your crop?  What about your time, what's it worth?  I believe when you put all these numbers down on paper you are going to find that if your time is worth anything, you can buy the grain cheaper than you can produce it.  If you currently grow vegetables I'd plant 4 more acres of them and buy the grain instead of trying to raise such small amounts.  If however you still want to give it a try, I'd strongly suggest you pick just one crop and plant all 4 acres in it. 

wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 9:00pm
Small is a relative term.  this year Dad and i will plant 100 acres of corn, 200 acres of beans, 4000 square bales and 140 head of cattle and that's after a full time job.  That's small compared to a lot of guys on this site.  If my time was worth anything, i would have half a dozen lawn mowers and a bobcat working in town after the full time job.  That's if it was about the money.  I had all that and sold it to go back to the farm where i belong. 

Get your old Allis tractors out, use them, and be happy.  Do it smart, don't waste time or money and worst case, you have a good tax write off.

Derek in MO
wood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 10:08pm
wood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 10:09pm
Thanks for the  comments.
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 1:14am
we own my grandfathers 40 acre farm.  it has been a hay farm for years . this year i planted 10 acres of wheat.   i hope to get my allcrop out there next year.  my buddy will harvest it this year.  pretty normal here in western oregon 150 bushel wheat with no water.  i am hoping for 100 bushel with it being my first go round.  i would kind of like to feed my grain too.   got a neighbor that cleans all his grain and sells some nice feed wheat with some rye grass seed in it to cheap to compete with. 
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 5:38am
Everyones situation is different...

When it comes to the All-Crops, I got folks using them jsut for "play", and some who are serious users who can justify the cost of parts to keep them running.  If your doing it for play, its a lot easier question: "What will my wife let me get away with $$ wise".  For profit, well a lot of number crunching needs to happen.

One scenario a "for profit" user that comes to mind is one organic farm who used a lot of
clover seed.. Being able to harvest their own seed has saved them a lot of $$ and they just put some serious bucks into their machine...

If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:10pm

Don't worry, Be Happy!! Everyone knows there's no money in farming anyway! Here's how I did 8 acres of Oats in 2009:

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:48pm
You might consider growing all corn and storing it for a couple years in a crib. Have an oats bin and grow oats and wheat the second year and store them. A bag of seed corn used to plant 3 acres.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
beeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 10:13pm
Want to buy a duck?
 You can  raise it faster than sheep....eat less too......
1949 B   3930 Ford- Have owned other Orange ,green,red,yellow,dark green tractors and equipment.
Kevin(Alabama) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin(Alabama) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:33pm
Wood, I would go for it. The more independent you are the better, and the way things are looking there may be a lot of folks wishing in time that they had a acre or two of grain. The 66 should be more than enough to harvest the crops.
"I would die a thousand deaths before I would betray a friend."...Sam Davis, Nov. 27, 1863.....DEO VINDICE
Jack(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 11:46pm
For several years around here you seldom seen even the large cattle farms growing their own grain. They would say "you can buy it cheaper than you can grow it" but now that has changed since corn has gotten higher. You can see corn growing in fields here that haven't had corn on them in 20 or 30 years.JP  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic