This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

615 Backhoe starter noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erics615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 615 Backhoe starter noise
    Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 8:49am
I posted earlier in the tractor forum- before I saw this one... I' just got a 615 backhoe,  I have a manual on the way. Is the shuttle torque converter or mechanical? Also, I'm getting alot of gear to gear noise when starting (I just had the starter rebuilt and it cranks faster but the noise was there before) Is this typical?  Lastly, what tractor is this unit based on . Engine:2200 diesel Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 6:17pm

They are a d-15 series II farm converted, with a heavy front axel. And a D-15 clutch style shuttle. Make sure the starter is alined with the hold down bolt hole. If it is turned a little. it will make noise. They are great tractors, but care needs to be taken, when using the shuttle,  hard rocking will do damage.  And if the hoe out riggers aren't down, it will break the 4 bolts the hold the rear axal on

Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
Erics615 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erics615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 6:54pm
The starter is lined up with the hole, the bolt has a conical end and jam nut. There is a hole beneath the flywheel.. I will try to clean the flywheel, is it a bad Idea to spray a little lithium grease as it spins? It seams tight. Thanks for the response!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 6:03am
The shuttle is mechanical. Two clutch packs on opposite rotating shafts running in oil.  No torque converter.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Erics615 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erics615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:21am
That makes sense, should I always fully engage the lever or is it ok to push it gently forward to ease up? I don't want to wear them out. I would assume then that the foot clutch is a separate one as well. Thanks for the respose! BTW, changing oil this morning, (Engine) how many qts. with filter?
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 11:51am
I would assume that the shuttle clutch is the same as an H3 dozer, based on that it is based on a D!5. Shuttle engaged all the way won't be slipping, therefore no clutch wear. Foot clutch controls engine to torque tube to tranny operation. I only use that to shift gears. The shuttle clutch is what should be used for running it.
Oil capacity I think is 5qts gas and 6 qts diesel with filter.
1961 H3
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 2:23pm

the foot clutch is a dry clutch. and the hand shuttle is a wet clutch. It uses the same clutch packs as the d14 and d15. is adjusted the same way.

Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
Erics615 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erics615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:38pm
OK, I've been talking to a few of you guys, One mentioned the back of the starter gear pushing out to far, which got me thinking, perhaps the ring gear has come loose, or is moving towards the starter.  Are these gears pressed on the flywheel or held in place with bolts? 200ci diesel. I'm going to pull the starter tommmorow and look inside and see what I can see...  hope my next post doesn't have to do with splitting the tractor! Any thoughts?  Symtoms- gear noise, slow cranking-I have replaced all cables, motor runs great once started.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:08pm
HD 4 used the 2200 engine and the starter was a Delco flange mount unit with 3 bolts.
Starter had 3 bearings in it as it use one in a plate behind the sprag clutch on starter drive. Ring gear is press / shrunk fit onto flywheel.
 I would check depth the starter drive is engaging into flywheel , if going to deep the ring gear may be hitting to deep into starter drive and hitting sprag unit.  Remember on some rebuilt starters we use to get they sent a shim pack to adjust depth.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic