This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cab foam kits-which is best?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cab foam kits-which is best?
    Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:41pm
Need to "fix up" the 8070 a little. looks like the Fehr kits may be the one to use.I know some on here have been through this but I don't remember what was said.Your experience and advice is welcomed.

The 'ol F2 needs the same.

Edited by Steve M C/IL - 05 Jan 2011 at 1:42pm
Sponsored Links

Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:44pm
I vote for Fehr.  
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
John D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 4:56pm
I bought a Fehr kit from my Agco dealer (about $120 at the time - around 1999) and put it in our 7040. It worked and looked real good. Warning though - the spray on glue can end up places you don't want it and it doesn't allow much adjusting to the pieces. 
ac_bowsers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_bowsers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:28pm
 Fehr kit in our 8070, real nice and simple, the only thing that was missing was the sown on pouch on the left fender piece, the headliner is top of the line. I bought it 7 years ago at the NFMS in KY, and saved 20%, they even had one there on hand was able to take it back home with me, plus I talked them into a can of glue for free too!!, still looks as good as the day I installed it
Pine Stock Farm "Home of the ALLIS" 35-WC-36-U-37-UC-47-C-49-G-57-D17-58-D17puller-63-D21-71-210puller-79-7045-83-8070-AA9675-BigTen-B10-310-1300fieldcult-snapcoupler imp.-longhopper blower,signs,etc.
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:57pm
AC   I'm going to do my 8070 soon.What did you do about the pouch that was missing on the left fender? I've heard you may have to take out the back glass to get the headliner in.Is this true? BStone
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 7:38pm
Fehr has very good products.  I have refurbished numerous gleaner combines with them.  They are very durable as long as you keep the mice from chewing.

Here is  my procedure for it:    
1. Remove anything that should be removed (seat & seat frame, floor mat...)
2. Try using an angle grinder (4") with a wire brush cup to remove old foam & glue.
3. Sand any areas needing repainted.
3. Clean / vacuum out the cab of all debris.
4. Mask off areas to protect & spray paint as needed.
5. Cut or adjust each piece of foam to fit properly.
6. Practice laying each piece of foam into position noting a good edge for initial attachment during gluing.  It is tough to move once it bonds.
7. Apply foam using 3m adhesive spray.  Spraying both pieces to create a great bong.
8. Reassemble seat - seat frame along with new floor mat.

While grinding invest in a good set of ear protection, safety glasses, & heavy apron to keep the thrown wire brush wires from sticking into your body.
Enjoy your nice cab!!  
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 7:48pm
Forgot...   Use a good disposable air breather that has the cartridges for good fresh air while in the cab.  The debris, paint, & glue are not good to breath.

Black color upholstery in the gleaner produces less windshield glare over the brown saddle color IMO.  The black color will produce more greenhouse heat but you can apply window tinting to upper half of all glass.  Amazingly that will reduce lots of heat buildup during hot sunny days.  A must for the older gleaner cabs which do not have extended cab roofs.  The brown saddle color in the 8070 will produce less green house effect and looks sharp on the bright orange.  You could apply the window tinting to your taste in it also.   
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:28am
I talked to folks at Fehr to day and they said the pocket on the left is on theirs.I'll know soon.
rieg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rieg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:55am
FYI, I have redone three 8000 cabs in the last few years all from Fehr. I called them and had all three made with one inch foam instead of the half inch foam I believe it helps with sound absorption and is more comfortable if someone wants to ride. They charged a little more but I think it is worth it.
rieg
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:00pm
I don't know what's included in these kits but, if the floor mat isn't included or is made of poor quality material, the interior noise will go up.  The original floor mat included a thin layer of lead sandwich between a couple of materials.  The lead material is very hard to get today, but http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html is a good substitute. 
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
randy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:31pm
Bought some Dynamat of Amazon the other day. I cleaned out the bottom of the cab and took out the 2 panels to get rid of dirt. Then i sprayed some rust conditioner on the rust, and in a few days i will install the Dynamat. I did this to my 8050 and now i am doing my 8070. Dynamat is not cheap, but really worked good on my 8050.
CA WD WD45 D17 D17 Diesel 7060 8050 8070
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic