This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B10 gas tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B10 gas tank
    Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 12:05pm
Earlier this fall I was going to run my B10 but first discovered some industrious mice had filled the housing around the engine with wheat, carried from a bin spill about 50' away.  Dwelt with that then poured some gas in the tank and it came out underneath almost as fast I poured it in.  Pulled off the tank, the entire bottom is rust, in fact a section 2" square  stayed with the machine.  Anyone have a good used (or new) tank for sale?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 12:14pm
Is the fuel tank for that one part of the tractor or part of the engine? If it's a Briggs & Stratton tank, I have an extra one.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 12:22pm
Brian, the tank is under the hood, next to the battery, between the engine and steering column.  Rectangular, maybe a gallon capacity.  It has a factory looking dent in the side so the hood bolt doesn't hit it.  Does that help?
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 4:27pm
Sounds like it isn't a Briggs tank then. The one I have is an actual B&S tank that mounts on the engine on the opposite side of the carb.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 8:08pm
Farmer John
     The B10 is a Simplicity badged Allis Chalmers.  Check out the simpletractors website. There is a good chance you may find what you need over there. 
     One of these days I hope to get my B1 put back together. I found a good older Briggs engine that should work. I had to turn the oil pan around to get the drain plug in the right place. It is a rope start and don't know for sure if I can switch it over to the starter generator. It may be easy.
    I do know where I can pick up a good running B10 for about a hundred doller bill. Do you think they are worth that much.  
    I have a good mower deck for the B1 that I would part with.  I just plan to haul the B1 to tractor shows to keep from walking all day.
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 9:06pm
Ken, If the B10 is a decent paint, good body, good running tractor, it is easily worth 100.00.
1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 10:57pm
Ken, Thanks for the advice on the tank.  I gave about 6 times that for my B10 with a rototiller, mower deck and front and mid mount blade.  Also wheel weights.  Sometimes it's hard to pass up an AC at a sale...
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 6:50am
Somebody hacked up the sheet metal and left off some to install a full size battery on a otherwise ok B10. It has a mower deck.
Had a rear mounted tiller. Owner told me he scrapped it because it made the front end light and needed a belt. He acts kinda goofy sometimes.
He said it mowed great. He bought a new wide swath Scag to mow with and parked the B10.
   It turned over when I tried to start it. It was out of gas. I haven't heard it run yet. If the motor is good it should be worth hauling home.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 7:09am
Have the same machine with the same tank problem.  Water over time leaves rust pits in the bottom of the gas tank.

Pull tank from machine, wash thoroughly and use a baking soda rinse.  Get the soft blue torch out and braze the holes shut.  Worked for me...HTH's.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 1:02am
Orangeman, The bottom of the tank is rusted away, even to the corners.  I'm sure I could do it but I bet it would take the better part of the day and with my luck leak.  I'd rather find a new or good used one if they aren't too expensive.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 3:34am
Johnco: I was thinking you only had some weeping -small seeps.  With what you described I would check for another tank or have your welding shop make a new one using the old one as a template.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 10:16am
I have a new gas tank that came on a replacement engine for a Massey Ferguson garden tractor. 

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Toscani SD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 7:07am
they are on ebay all the time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic