This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5G Weight/Trailering?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5G Weight/Trailering?
    Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 10:03am
How much does an HD5G weigh? I found 11250 lbs. for the 60" tread farm crawler version in one of my HD5 manuals, so I assume and HD5G would weigh a couple thousand more than that?

I have a gooseneck deckover with two 7K axles and just over 10K of payload capacity. Guessing it's a terrible idea to try to slowly bring home an HD5G ~50 miles home on it.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2024 at 11:04am
I wouldn't even have to think about that. Load it, chain it secure and run about 50mph stopping at about 10 miles and check tire and hub temperature.

I had 20K on my deckover several times w/two 7K Hayes axles under it.

Only real thing to be concerned with if in the hills, or twisty's, anticipate the brake effectiveness, or roll of the trailer from side to side as will be a bit top heavy and you'll have some tire woller. Ensure you have the tires at max pressure.

No, I'm not a "Hold my Beer" type guy either.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 4:30pm
I hauled my HD5G on a rollback truck (single axle) C 60 Viking , quite a few times 
Gorse Load of 31,000 so a little over legal weight 
Normally use a tri-axle trailer 3 -8,000 axles but could go with 2 axle trailer if tires would meet load rating as now the DOT - look at all ratings and license GVW of trailer and tow unit .
 Pulling with a tandem dump truck and Penndel hook one can transfer 20% of load to tow vehicle where a ball hitch only allows 10% or less . With your gooseneck weight transfer can go to tow vehicle -but at 14,500 of HD4G - either way both truck and trailer need INSPECTION Stickers and you need a Class A license , to be legal .
 Be sure your health card is up to date also as another thing that will be checked if your stopped .
 A parts machine I bought I had a guy with a roll-off box deliver for me as machine had to be pushed onto trailer and was easier loading into his box by pushing it in with another machine . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2024 at 9:07pm
Sounds like if I take it easy I might be okay. Backroads only. I don't plan on bringing one of these across the country. Plenty of them pop up locally, so I just need to try to spend my time and effort on a good one. Thanks!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 4:30pm
You could also drop the bucket and loader frame off and haul separately since it's such a short haul.

Edited by doctorcorey - 14 Sep 2024 at 4:31pm
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 minutes ago at 9:23pm

Link to TractorData Website HD5, no loader, 10,500 and 11,250 lbs.

G

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/003/0/7/3077-allis-chalmers-hd5-dimensions.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic