This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7000 series hydraulic pumps R&R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7000 series hydraulic pumps R&R
    Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 12:27pm
Where can I go to learn how to remove/replace the hydraulic pumps?

my 7060's remote valve pump appears weak, and this spring when I started the tractor, the power steering felt like it was binding (it wasn't, so I assume the pump was not functioning correctly

as well, there's a local 7040 for sale, says it needs a power steering pump

I'm interested in learning about these.

Thanks
'nuk
AC7060Pd 1975
Sponsored Links

8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 4:37pm
Best place is an original service manual
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 6:02pm
The steering system and the remote valves use different pumps. It would be unlikely that both pumps could be bad at the same time. They use a common oil reservoir and filters. I would start with changing the filters and maybe even the oil. A good gauge to check some pressures is also critical.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2024 at 9:27pm
The remote valve pump has always been weak

the steering is a new symptom

new filters/oil 2 years ago, and oil has always been clear when I check.

when I removed the old oil (no idea how many years it was in there) there was little discolouration, and no water that I could tell.
Also, the filters were not very dirty.

this is why I am leaning to the pump being weak.

but the steering pump has me worried.

I have a couple manuals, but don't remember seeing R&R on the pumps.

I'll have to look again.

I plan on doing a complete oil/filter change this fall IF I do OK baling....  need to find an extra $1500 for that.
AC7060Pd 1975
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 6:33am
The remotes "seeming weak" need to be verified by connecting a 3,000 psi gauge to the test port on the side of the PTO valve. Max pressure should be 2500 psi. Stand-by pressure should be adjusted to 500 to 600 psi. Until this is checked, you don't know for sure, you just think you know.  Incorrect remote hose TIPS are also a probability. With the engine OFF, both remote levers must lock into detent when pulling them to the rear. They should also detent into the float position when clear forward. Worn out and maladjusted linkage can give you "weak" hydraulics. Both flow controls must have the LONG side of the roll pin lever pointed straight DOWN for max flow. Consult your owners manual for pictures on this. The fact that this has been going on for some time makes me think it isn't serious, just neglected. The power steering is another issue starting with AGCO filters and nothing else. Then, check for a sticking priority valve spool. Of course I heard of a 7020 a couple weeks ago that had hydraulic system problems and they added 14 gallons of oil to the rear end..........................
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 9:58pm
My 7010 had difficult steering all of a sudden.
I assume your 7000 series is similar. Turns out it was a blocked orifice. It is on the bottom of the tractor. You can fix without major removal. I thought i had bad pump but was not the case. I recommend starting there on steering.
80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 10:51am
Dr Allis, Calico, thanks for the info

at the end of baling season, I hope to be able to really did into this

my one remote roll pin is not original, but the other one, that I use for the baler gate is, and it is pointed down (the rotating lever in the cab shows slow, but I confirmed at the back.

I assume someone before me had it apart, and assembled it to get it working, not thinking about the correct positions

I will get a gauge and test pressures when I have a chance.   initially I was thinking of rigging a gauge to a hose tip and check at the outlet.

I'm gonna see about getting the AC female tips.   ( I hope they are compatible with a JD factory male tip, or I'm getting more parts... )

My 7060 wears only AGCO filters now.   all new a couple years ago.   Time to change them.
only about 150 hours on them, and the oil remains clear.

Calico, I'll have to look into this orifice, I'm not sure what you are referring to, but with some research, I am sure I'll find it
AC7060Pd 1975
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 12:55pm
Checking pressure at a remote outlet will show max pressure but not standby pressure. It needs to be checked at the tee on the pto valve
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 6:21pm
Here is a link to my post where I tackled the problem.  I did not realize the shims where still in the spool cap so watch out for that.  Make sure you have a pan underneath when you pull it apart so you don't lose the parts. 

My take on the condition is that if your hydraulics work fine on the your implements and your 3pt goes up and down fine, then that means the pump is not bad.  That would isolate it to the steering condition.  My steering wheel got very difficult to turn like it was in a bind but all other hydraulics worked.  Something clogged up the orifice.  I couldn't tell after disassembly where the clog was but it has been fine since i put it back together and that was about a year ago.  I did change the filters in the rear end and I changed the filter under the radiator later.  I also bought no parts to fix this other than filters.  I kind of wonder if my filter might have failed and let something get into the orifice.  May or may not be your issue but it is simple and easy to try.  You can see my pictures in the link.  I do have a leaking steering cylinder that is getting progressively worse on my 7010.  I fixed the 7020 with a rebuild of the cylinder so going to do the same to the 7010.  Good luck and hope it isn't a pump.  They are about $1800 to buy a rebuilt one.

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/7010-steering-issue_topic193506_post1657973.html?KW=7010#1657973

80 7010, 80 7020. 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 11:24am
Thanks 8070nc, I'll look into that.    

raining now, I may have a few days to take some pictures and test

Calico, thanks for the link.  a good read.

my steering felt like it was binding, when trying to turn, it was a ratcheting sound/feel, and as the steering wheel turned, the front wheels did not.

as I limped it to the yard, it suddenly came free and steers normal now.
I think my steering issue was a blockage, that is now free.

still thinking about my remote cylinder pressures etc...   

Dr. Allis, when tractor is off, my left remote lever will lock into both back/forward/float.
my right remote lever locks in back/forward.... but not float.   

I need to research the adjustment on this.

you folks on here are simply awesome!

if I was incredibly wealthy, I'd buy you all a coffee!!!
AC7060Pd 1975
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2024 at 10:00pm
I am not sure your steering problem is fixed. The blockage may be floating around in there so the condition may return. My previous post should give you details to fix bad steering though should it return. Good luck. You may have multiple problems though.
nanuk View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:39pm
I'm hoping not.

maybe the filter grabbed what was floating around there...
AC7060Pd 1975
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic