This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new ap 46 piston made

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new ap 46 piston made
    Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 5:45pm
Sponsored Links

Ol case mike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol case mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 5:48pm
Do those need 170 cut off the tops still
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 5:50pm
four brand new ap 46 just waiting on the d17 crank so we can decide on compression ratio i had the pin hieght and the bowls the same as my sample piston we will see how much to mill
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 5:54pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 5:55pm
NOW WE"RE GETTING SOMETHING DONE !!!!  Remember to mark the flywheel for 20 and 22 degree BTDC because that is where you need to be.

Edited by DrAllis - 09 Jul 2024 at 5:57pm
Thymansrepairandcust View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thymansrepairandcust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 5:55pm
Im interested in a set of these if they are available. And will come back to see if they do need milling or not for a d17
steve fischer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 6:40pm
Is that the sample I sent you 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 9:45pm
yes sir steve  i still thank you i am keeping it on file in case you need it agian
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 9:48pm
how much compression am i going to be with out milling the top ? i cant waite to get the crank back so i see what volume i have at tdc
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 8:07am
When I used SP-46 pistons I had to remove .170" from the outer top lip because the piston would hit the cylinder head !!!   I had 240 psi of cranking compression and always felt it was around 11 to 1 ratio.    110 octane fuel was easily good enough along with retarded ignition timing of 20 to 22 degrees BTDC at full throttle.

Edited by DrAllis - 10 Jul 2024 at 8:48am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 3:11pm
Just a question, but if they are custom building the pistons, couldn't they shave .170 from the top or move the wrist pin up .170 during the build?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 3:27pm
Sure. They have to be told exactly what you want and they will make it like that.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 9:21am
  If they were mine I would like the ring pack higher, I guess with the bowl  so big - wide there is not enough material.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 10:30am
I would have preferred the top ring height match the old pistons location to keep the compression exactly the same. I know it will be a very slight difference.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 2:20pm
I remember talking to Don Bradley several years ago and he was totally against using flat-top pistons. He claimed Power Crater pistons would always dyno better than flat-tops, despite the fact that the flat-tops had more compression. 
I don't think we talked about M&W pistons.
Is that why you aren't using flat-top pistons?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 2:55pm
I've never used flat tops because I always felt Power Crater was better. When I had Ross make me custom pistons I was able to spec the bowl diameters (top and bottom) and bowl depth (cc's) and compression distance (pin to piston top) to exactly what I wanted. So, why not go with the Power Crater design ?? I also have never had the time or money (maybe the other way around) to build an engine with 8.25 to 1 compression flat tops and then tear it apart and install 8.25 to 1 Power Craters from a 175 tractor. I would assume all things being equal (4 inch bore and same compression, same cam, head and carburetor) the Power Craters would show some slight advantage. I would also be willing to bet if the flat tops were at 9.0 to 1 instead of 8.25 to 1, that might be the winner in making the most HP. We will never know.   My pulling engine is 4 5/8" plus bore and cranking compression tests at 300 psi with Ross custom made Power Crater pistons.

Edited by DrAllis - 12 Jul 2024 at 2:57pm
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 7:29pm
i told them i  wanted the bowls and pin hieght exactly the same on purpose so i can shave what i want ,   and start with somthing that allready works,    i left the ring grooves to them they recomended lighten ing them up and shortening the the skirts some    maybe the next go around i will have the  recipe changed it took a long time to get done and they were not cheap
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 7:53pm
I've always said that using an SP-46 M&W piston that .170" had to be removed from the top of the piston. This was not a way to get the compression where I wanted it. It was necessary to keep the piston from smacking the head !!! The cranking compression will be approximately 240 psi when doing this. Remember, the connecting rods have their limits !! My pulling engine uses stronger rods than the ones you will use, so I can tolerate 300 psi of cranking compression.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 8:52pm
was the "sample piston" already in an engine ?? If so, and i obviously did not hit the head, then the .170 or so has already been removed and designed into the NEW pistons ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 9:56pm
The sample piston was used in a WC/WD with a 4 inch stroke crank. Not a 4 1/2" stroke crank.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic