This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magneto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magneto
    Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 5:05am
Hi all what would make a Bosch magneto go bad one minute I hav spark next none what do I need to look for is it the points or condenser or coil any help would be greatly appreciated
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 9:02am
condenser are the most common failure for cutting in and out when cool or hot....... A COIL will work when COLD, then cutout when HOT.. or fail completely .... if the point face is clean, you should not have a problem with it.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:15am
I DESPISE mags! ---- The biggest problem I run into is the coils are dead. I have also been told that the magnet bars inside the coils can lose charge and make a rebuilt mag go dead if not checked or recharged.
I am fighting one right on a bubcat 500 skidder and to take the mag off you have to take the motor out! Talk about stupid!!!!!!!!!! 
This thing is about 1 step from getting dumped in the hole and buried with a bunch of other stuff.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 8:55am
First I would check the points for corrosion and clean them.  Just a little on the point faces could cause intermittent spark.  Also, check point gap-- should be at about .020.  I've got a lot of tractors with mags and find them pretty reliable.  Never had to replace a condenser yet.  Old coils can break down and have internal shorts in the windings, but in my experience, if the coil is bad there will be no spark.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 hours 18 minutes ago at 3:28pm
Never had a mag here yet that would ever work!--- changed all that I could over to dist. and the ones I cant change,  get external coil hooked to 12-v batteries . Even then you are stuck with a stupid mag. but at least the coil problem is solved.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 hours 9 minutes ago at 3:37pm
most of these mags have been around for 50- 75 years.. the trouble with the ones that doen work is OLD BEAT UP PARTS... I have bought a couple new coils and a few condensers  and ahve 4-5 of them working right now. i had one that had week throw our springs on the impusle weights and caused me some starting problems.... one of the BEST things i ever did was buy a COMPLETE REBUILD UNIT from one of the Vendors on this site. It had a new coil, NOS condenser and point and remagnetized magnet/ rotor and new parts in the  impulse... It is basiclly  NEW UNIT and works GREAT... Tractor fires up on 1 revolution of the motor and never misses a beat..... OLD WORN OUT PARTS are the cause of almost ALL magnito problems.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 8 minutes ago at 9:38am
The one I am fighting right now is in a bubcat 500 skidder. mag looks new inside,---no spark, cant get mag off without taking the air shroud off and to get it off motor gotta come out of the loader! YA! aint gonna happen on my watch! Probably end up shovin the thin in the hole and bury it along with other stuff!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic