This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

380/85-34 tires on One-Eighty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 380/85-34 tires on One-Eighty
    Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:02pm
Has anyone done this or know which tractors a person could get the parts from ?

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:37pm
you know that 380 mm is about 14.9 inches wide... Most who change go to the 16.9 or 18.4 inch

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/allis-chalmers-180-18-434_topic108813.html

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Jun 2024 at 12:38pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 12:42pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 1:31pm
Yes. Have 18.4 already. Want to go to 14.9.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 2:59pm
A typical 180 tractor has 18.4 x 28 rear tires. They have 250 square inches of "footprint" and are 59.4 inches tall by the Firestone chart.  What little that I can find on 380/85-34 tires shows me 190 square inches of footprint and 60 inches tall.  What am I not seeing here ?? the 34's might be a radial design?? which you can buy 18.4 x 28's in radial design too, can't you ??
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 3:24pm
Narrower tire for going down the rows but still maintain some height for road speed.

Just an idea I had. I see lots of the metric 34s used around here.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2024 at 3:31pm
The 170 thru 185 tractors were available (optional) with 13.6 x 38's, 14.9 x 38's and 15.5 x 38's.  Many Massey and Ford tractors had these sizes on them and have the typical 8-bolt pattern that can be made to fit the Allis final drive flange. I'd guess the same could be said for certain sizes of 34 inch wheels and centers...MF or Ford.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 7:06am
One of the linked discussions above was started by me, and I can elaborate on what I ended up doing on my 180 (and a few other tractors). I no longer try to find rims with the bolt pattern and centre hole I need: It seems I can always find them with the right tire size and wrong bolt/centre pattern for a good price, but whenever I find them with the bolt/centre/tire-size combination I need, they're always completely rusted out and the seller is asking a crazy price for them. You have to be a little careful looking at Ford/Massey. If I remember right, the bolt pattern is the same, but the centre hole is 5.5" vs. the Allis's 6", so some cutting/grinding is required.

These days if I want to swap sizes (or even if I just need new rims) I now find rims & centres for the tire size I want, regardless of the bolt pattern and centre hole. I then get a disc cut on a plasma-table with the right bolt and centre hole pattern, and make it out of steel the same thickness as the new centres. I cut out the old centres, grind a good bevel for a weld prep on my adapter discs, and weld the new discs in. If you're a reasonable welder and take your time grinding smooth they'll look stock once you're finished. Doing it this way gives you complete flexibility to work with any rim/tire size you want. Here's a picture of my 180 after I converted to 18.4-30 and the adapter discs I used. These rims aren't adjustable and I know it's not proper Allis paint, but the rims and tires only cost $400 and the adapter discs were only about $200 to have made, so I think it's still a pretty good looking set of tires & rims for only a few hundred dollars.

This discussion actually comes up on here pretty frequently, and Dr. Allis always correctly points out that the 18.4-28's have a very respectable contact patch area. There's not anything substantial to be gained by going from 28's to 30's, and you actually lose contact patch by going to 16.9-38's like so many folks want to. But I think the desire to change tire sizes is very seldom driven by the desire to get more contact area. In many cases (like mine) it's the owner wanting to change to a more standard tire size (around here you can find used 18.4-30's in great condition everywhere, and I have several sitting around because three other tractors of mine take them). Sometimes it's done for row-cropping reasons like you want, and sometimes it's done to improve the look of the tractor: Folks may disagree, but I always thought the 170 and 180 especially looked a little too saggy with the original 28's - especially when they started to wear down. The 30's only have a radius increase of 1.5" (depending on brand), but it seems to make a heck of a difference in how these tractors look. With the slightly taller tires they look like a mean, aggressive tractor ready to go attack the land. There are a couple pictures floating around on here of someone who's put 16.9-38's on their 180 and 170. I wouldn't want to go that narrow on mine, but I have to admit they look superb.

Edited by DanielW - 25 Jun 2024 at 7:13am
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2024 at 3:27pm
Very nice! Thank you!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 5:59am
I installed 14.9 x 38" on my D-17 IV years ago for the same reason. I was cultivating dark red kidney beans. Used centers from a MF 65 High Arch which are identical to the factory option 38" from A-C. Direct bolt on. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
rtwfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtwfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 7:49am
Got what you need for 38’s. In Nebraska 402-469-1738
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic