This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B seat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnoJetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B seat
    Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 8:49pm

Hi folks - I posted a question regarding converting an older Allis B with hand brakes to foot brakes.  Now I'd like to see if it's possible to put on a pan seat.  I was down visiting my folks in southern MN and checked out a newer Allis B in a neighbor's garage.  This one has a nice pan seat (verses the bench seat I have on mine) and a strategically placed piece of sheet steel as a step (which is the owner's addition).

The B that I have is challenging to mount because of having to step over the bench seat from the rear, or having to swing a leg over the steering wheel from the front.  I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the bench seat and install one of those pan seats (I assume the pan seat is standard on newer B's) without any modifications.

Any opinions on the feasibility of this conversion?

Kyle Sands <>< Alexandria, MN
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:04pm
you would still have the "Toolbar" across the back to step over.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:16pm
I believe all B's came with the bench seat.  You should try getting on a B when your right leg is bunged up. You can learn easier ways to do things if you have to. LOL  There were aftermarket " Monroe Seats" available and I would think it should be no problem finding one. You may want to keep the original seat, unless you can find someone who wants to trade a Monroe for an original. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:56am
All B's came with a bench seat. Pan seats were after-market options. Most people get on from the front or climb up the tire. Might have to get used to it, Monroe seats are hard to find I hear and they can also get expensive.
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 7:59am
SJ, I don't quite remember, didn't you say you got a plow with the B?  If you mount the plow drawbar on the tractor, it makes a good step for mounting from the left front.  If not, use a second B drawbar and mount it backwards facing forward.  That makes a very nice step and you always know where your extra drawbar is.  
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:06am
With a bit of modification you can put in a seat assembly from a WC. Someone did that on the B that I purchased. I can't say how comfortable it is because the tractor isn't running, but it doesn't seem too bad just sitting on it. It's way harder to climb up into however.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
SnoJetter View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnoJetter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:52am
Hey guys - thank you for the replies.  Whatever seat is on this B in the neighbor's garage, it certainly looks great, feels great, and is easy to get around.  As much as I enjoy Allis equipment, this bench seat certainly wasn't their best move.  I'm still plenty young enough to get around on this thing with relative ease, but my Dad sure isn't going to try and get on to drive, and I figure sometime down the road I'll be less mobile.

So, it would appear that I am on the search for an aftermarket pan seat.  If anybody ever finds a lead on something like this and doesn't want to jump on it for themselves, I'd certainly be thankful if you would let me know.

Dave - no, I'm afraid I didn't get any implements with this tractor...not that it would matter as I really wouldn't be able to use a plow on the terrain we have up there.

Thanks much!

Kyle

Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 7:39pm
Kyle, welcome to the forum.  I have some information on the Monroe seats on my website (see link below).  I have at least six of these seats and have picked them up for $25 to $125.  At one time, forum member Dan Smith had some for sale.  He may see this and chime in here.  Best of luck.

http://www.brianahart.net/bcmonroeseats.htm

A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
Ray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:41pm

I have a complete Monroe seat assy. for a C. $100.00 785-353-2392 Thanks

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:15pm
SnoJetter, Actually, the Seat on the B was a good move back in the day. The bench seat allowed the operator to move back and forth, or view one side of the tractor at their will, which was great for jobs like cultivating or mowing. Can't do that with a pan seat. It was a great marketing tool over IH  and other products since you could view both sides instead of one at your decision.
SWMOCraig View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWMOCraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:27am
Originally posted by morton(pa) morton(pa) wrote:

SnoJetter, Actually, the Seat on the B was a good move back in the day. The bench seat allowed the operator to move back and forth, or view one side of the tractor at their will, which was great for jobs like cultivating or mowing. Can't do that with a pan seat. It was a great marketing tool over IH  and other products since you could view both sides instead of one at your decision.

I agree, plus they are more comfortable than a pan seat especially without a cushion. Riding a tractor on the parade laps is one thing, but being on them for hours at a time in the field is completely different. You can sure appreciate a good seat when working with the tractor. Just my 2 cents....*smiles*

Craig
Whenever there is a hard job to be done I assign it to a lazy man; he is sure to find an easy way of doing it.

— Walter P. Chrysler

"Like" us on Facebook at Allis B Seat.Com

www.allisbseat.c
Blake_AllisMan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blake_AllisMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 10:57pm
I have a monroe seat on my C works alot better than a bench seat in my opinion and will solve your problems with the bench seat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic