This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 Seat Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 Seat Repair
    Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 8:42am
Well, the seat on my 720 has slowly been cracking and I've been doing some poor patching with black duct tape.  So, thought it was time to see if an upholstery place could repair it.  Was informed it was very difficult and time consuming.  Best guess estimate of cost was $500.  Has anyone had this seat repaired?  Or, does anyone have a good seat they would sell?Or, any other ideas/options?  Thanks, Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 9:12am
My seat was non existent when I purchased my 620. Just a steel pan with a AC decal on the back. I replaced it with one of the aftermarket seats on the internet. Actually, the new seat looks right at home on the ole' 620. I think that seat cost me $50. bucks a few years ago. That's one less zero than the cost of your repair, and it actually looks pretty nice too!  
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 9:33am
Yeah, Steve, that is a good option and one my wife suggested.  Was just looking for a cost effective way to stay as original as possible.  Years ago, my Dad had a seat from a D17 that was just the metal (as you describe yours was) redone by an upholstery person and it turned out pretty nice.  He never would tell me how much he spent to have it done!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:36am
Those upholstery guys aren't cheap Dave. Take it from a guy that's been around hotrods all his life and the interiors these guys do. Some beeeutiful work out there some of these guys do, but you can buy a small house for what they get to do an interior!  LOL! I gotta' git' the seat done in my 26 T coupe. I'm afraid to bring it to the upholstery shop! The old bugger needs some serious padding put in it. Maybe I'll just stack a handful of catalogs on the seat and call it good! This way I'll be able to see out the Windshield....  LOL!  I'm sure my buddy Fred will have somethin' ta' say bout' that..!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 8:38am
Yeah, I may try to get some of that Flex Tape I see advertised on TV and patch up some of the cracks with it.  Not sure it will stick to the vinyl seat, but it is supposed to mold to the conforms of the seat, which would be nice.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 10:22am
Call Sandy Lake Implement in Sandy Lake PA. They are the AC/Simplicity parts experts and likely can get you a seat for a lot less than $500. Pretty well known in the Simplicity community.

Phone number: (724) 376-2489
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 8:52am
Well, tried some of that Gorilla repair tape.  Boy, that stuff sticks and you get no chance to move it once you put an end down but with it being 4" wide it did a good job of covering the cracks.  Have used the 720 a few times since applying it and the tape stays in place, so for now am satisfied.  Thanks for the comments.  Dave
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 12:18pm
Cheap repair and it works!  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic