This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers WD Valve Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers WD Valve Seats
    Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 9:36pm
This may sound strange but did the engine in my 1949 Allis Chalmers WD have valves seats? Was the head itself the valve seat? Got an exhaust valve that the seat is almost nonexistent.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 9:44pm
Exhaust valves replaceable steel seats. Intake seats are ground into the head casting.
ForgivenCreation View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 10:55pm
Are the exhaust valves seats for the WD known for being eaten away? I have one that is super super bad. All the others are normal. Does this one need to be pulled out and replaced or can it be fixed.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 6:46am
Looks to me like an engine that has sat outside for 40 years without a rain cap on it and valve open. I doubt that it will grind smooth but you'll never know until you try.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 8:04am
Machine Shop can  install seats ,
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 12:57pm
Do any of yall have the spec for the exhaust seat face?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 5:38pm
Seat face width of 1/16"  (.0625")
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 6:42pm
Alright got the old valve seat out! VERY VERY carefully used a dremel and made one spot really thin then used a flat punch with a lip ground in it as a lever on the inside edge of the seat and a hammer. Took some hits and a bit of heat but got it out!
Also does anyone have the part number for the Exhaust valve seat? The hole OD measures 1.5615"
Also Thank ya for the spec!

Edited by ForgivenCreation - 06 Apr 2024 at 7:51pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 11:02pm
A couple 3 spots of weld on the ID will shrink em to make removal easier.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 11:29pm
Think we could help you with some nos seats. If your interested 
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 1:54am
That's a good start ! I used the dremal tool trick last year on a ford Y-block, then slightly heated head pocket & used a correct size bearing tool to tap the new one in. I had the new one in the freezer for a day. Good Luck, keith so.va.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 6:01pm
Well for the life of me I can't find the exhaust valve seat. I can find them but they do not measure correct. Does anyone have the Part Number?
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 6:10pm

It’s number 26. Those are old numbers. New number is 241538

Edited by Mikez - 07 Apr 2024 at 6:11pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 6:12pm
I’d have to look but I think we have both
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 6:14pm
Oh and add 70 to beginning of those numbers when your dealing with agco
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 7:02pm
Cool, thank you!!!
If you do end up having some let me know!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 10:24pm
I think they require some punch work around them to "secure" them. An old service manual would say.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 1:48pm
If a valve seat is to tall/depth can it be sanded down to the proper height?
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 3:33pm
Hardened valve seats , your not going to get no where with sand paper . Sounds like you should just take to a good machine and do the head correctly .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 3:42pm
After consulting a family member the operation is to take the correct sized valve seat grinding stone flip it upside down and grind the top of the seat down once installed I believe.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 6:41pm
They are made in different thicknesses. You sure you have the correct one?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 8:23pm
Yeah, there seem to be only two sizes a standard and oversized. The standard is the right OD but wrong depth and the oversize is the right depth but wrong OD.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:01pm
Well yall, it was a success!!!
I had to take about an 1/8" off the top once I got the seat in. With the seat froze in the freezer and the head at outside Temps the clearance was .015 took a couple taps to get it in. The stone was going to slow. To get the material off faster I used a 40 grit sanding pad, then the fine stone to true it back up and then cut the sealing face in. Still might stake it in. I did leave it sticking up off the surface of the head about .020 figured that would be ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic