This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Re-power D-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KP4620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-power D-19
    Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 8:00am
Good morning, I have a gas D-19 . I would like to re-power it with a 4cyl out of a F-2. I  am interested in any helpful hints that would make this easier. 
Sponsored Links

Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 11:20am
IMO :
There are much better ways to spend your time....

In the end you will still have a D19....
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Gary(VA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 11:37am
there’s a guy on YouTube, Timothy Fluegel who has done it. 
But I agree, still a D19. I believe if you search there are still some sleeve assy. and parts available but takes a little effort to find them. I believe Timothy even had some as they’ve done a fewD19s
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 12:23pm
I would think most people would want their engine swap to look kind of nice and Timmy Fluegals ain't nice with the nose of the tractor raised up 6 inches and multiple holes cut into the hoods to make the engine fit. That F2 combine enginewill easily fit into a D-19 chassis and no hood cutting needs to be done if you do it right. The power steering is the primary obstacle, with it needing to be converted to hydro-static style and using a manual worm gear to connect and orbit motor to. Give me an email address and i can send you a folder of pictures of my D-17 XT project tractor.
Model 70 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:49pm
D19’s are great tractors.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 6:02pm
D19's are WAY underpowered for thier size.

Have spoken to several Allis dealers from the old days.

NOT one of thier favorite tractors.....

Have owned several of them over the years.

A row crop wide front....
Hydraulics are SLOW !!! And clumsy for thier size...

A high crop diesel.
VERY clumsy !!!!!

I no longer own either one.

D17"s on the other hand are great in any series but the series IV's are boss !!!

Why didn't Allis make a
D19 IV.....

Well the did. They called it a 190. Which really didn't resemble the D19 at all.
Better and more reliable power plant, improved hydraulics, steering and factory 3 point.

Once you go 190, you'll never go back !

If you like D19's, that's cool !!!!

The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
6080fwa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6080fwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 6:54pm
Are you using a 4cyl allis 6080 motor or the 301 motorfrom your f2?  maybe Dr allis could comment on whether a perkins 4 cyl would work well also with a engine plate from a 175?  maybe you could put a live hydraulic pump with the newer motor?
One has to remember the d-19 was revolutionary and ground breaking for a tractor being the first turbo diesel of its kind 60 years ago!!!!. I have 3 of them and their wheelbase is long so the ride is smooth..... you sit high up over the axle so bumps are not so bad. I can turn the steering wheel with my baby finger from stop to stop. There were alot of worse tractors made. 
the rear end up to the power director on my 175 looks the same as my 175 allis !
(same manual power director clutch?)
The 175 went with the perkins having less hp than the d19 maybe thats a option?
perkins are good on fuel and are low maintenance too.
if a d19 is underpowered for its size then a allis 175 and a d17 also is too.....

My engine on one of my d19 diesels is rebuilt when it had blowby and all of the cracks in the head have been pinned by a machinist at one time and have had no head issues for the last 25 years of operation since i bought it both before and after the rebuild. I dont work the heck out of it and i warm it up and cool it down for 10 min.  At low rpm it is as fuel efficient as a duetz 3cyl. It has lots of torque too and a nice throaty sound out of the pipe from the turbo.
NOTHING can run as cheap to move bales, it takes time to shift but it gets the job done.
dont grind the gears. I carry two round bales one on front one on the back and i drive in low range and I have never broken a spindle.
For the first attempt by Allis engineers they did a pretty good job.  The d19d has amazing traction too i was stuck once up to my axles with my 6080 fwa.  I hooked up the d19 in first gear and pulled the 6080 and baler out without even spinning the tires!

The driveline may not handle 95hp really well..... Both diesel d19s have not had any head issues in their use during winter or summer operation. whatever motor you choose remember the driveline is 60yrs old and was never built to take more than 62 drawbar hp and be reliable. They have also in an emergency pulled a 4 bottom plow in clay soil.  for what they are in my book they are not a bad tractor. 
On a nice summer day under the umbrella it puts a smile on my face so they must have done something right ergonomically with their engineering.
d19d d19lp 175d 190d 190gxt 190dxt 200 6080 7000 8010 9150 9190
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Model 70 Model 70 wrote:

D19’s are great tractors.

X2 on that. I love my D19. Was the very first allis tractor I owned, and it definitely started something that got out of hand, lol!
Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic