This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery charger for 6 volt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery charger for 6 volt
    Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:11pm
Recently my brother-in-law (who was big into antique Chevrolets) passed away and my sister (knowing I have old Allis tractors) gave me his Centech (read "Harbor Freight") model 63045 6/12 volt battery charger. Large battery charger on wheels. Here is the question.... Charger
has 2,10 and 40 amp settings for 12 volts. Only 40 amp setting for 6 volts. I want this for my two WD45's and my WC..is 40 amps to much for a 6 volt battery ?? This is way more than the tractor generator puts out.?.? Will this charger do not harm than good on a 6 volt battery?? Thanks for your patience, I know I am not smart on automotive electrics...Dan
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:25pm
the charger, like a generator, senses battery voltage and determines what AMPERAGE is needed to charge.... Example, : of your battery is discharged to 5 volts, the charger might put out 40 amps to get it back up quickly.. If your battery is a 6.5 volts, then the charger might put out 5-10 amps to get a small boost...

I really dont know what your "40 amps" is set at.. That could be the MAX if your battery is down to 5 volts... It could also be 40 amps output at 6.5 volts, but i doubt it.

Easy test is to get your battery fully charged, then connect the NEW charger and watch the gauge for 5 minutes.. Normally you will get a short BOOST of 15- 20 amps for a couple minutes, then the charger "SHOULD" back off to 5- 10 amps when it sees the battery is fully charged..... Leaving it on for 5 minutes will not hurt...

The OLD GENERATOR charges at 5-8 amps, but that is the limit of the Generator... the battery can take a bit more.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:28pm
This may not be a good charger to use as a Trickle Charger on 6v... The 40 amp setting would be to get a quick charge for 10- 30 minutes on a low battery.... the 2 amp setting on 12V would be a trickle and could be left overnight.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:31pm
You can download the manual for it... google 'centech 63045', 1st hit is HF website, goto 'documentation, get the PDF..., see page 6, specs..... 6v..2 amp OR 40 amps...

cheers

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:37pm
that appears to be a NEWER MODEL charger... yours may or may not have the 2A button ??

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:59pm
To me, that sounds like an older charger. 40 amps is a bit much, but it for fast charging it sounds like. That's one of those chargers you only put on the Battery for about 10 minutes or so cause' you'll boil the Battery. Pick yourself up a Deltran Maintainer for your 6V Batteries. It's always better to put a 1.25-1.50 amp slow charge into 6V Batteries. They last longer.....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 9:58pm
i use a noco that desulfantes it does some amzing things to batteries that are on their way out somtimes but it might take four days to charge a battery 
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 10:11pm

Amps n Current are the potential to draw from. Like you have a foot diameter pipe with a quarter inch tap. The big pipe could supply a foot of water but the skinny pipe can only draw a little.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 6:43am
I bought a "smart charger" (from Amazon), that does either 6 or 12 volt,  a couple years ago. I really like it.

My problem is that I have one tractor that had an eight volt battery in it when I bought it. I have been using an old 12 volt (manual) charger that I use on it on the slow charge setting. I keep an eye on it and remove the charger when it gets in the 9 volt area.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 8:40am
That was my point about the 2 amp vs 40 amp charge setting... At 2 amps the charger measures the battery and wants it to be 13.8 volts so it  slow charges the 12 v battery... When you set it to 40 amps, the CHARGER is set to  16 volts or more... so when it sees a 12.5 volt battery , it goes to FULL CHARGE ..
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:53am
i know what you are saying steve ill .i just happened to have the the fluke in my hand i little while ago with the battey charger on 24v and 120 amp and it was reading 38 v now trying to get my new young mechanic to understand that is somthing , feel good if he checks to see what voltage he working with 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 12:37pm
YEP... My truck has a 200 amp alternator.. If you JUMP a dead truck it will put out a LOT OF AMPS... When the battery is FULL CHARGE, i doubt it puts out 10- 15 amps ..... until you turn on the electric seat, air conditioner, stereo, GPS, head lights, trailer plug, and work the electric windows and mirrors !!!  LOL  Wink

My OLD charger actually has a rotary switch to choose the CHARGE... I think one of the selections is 18 V low charge- 12 v HIGH charge ......... another selection is 24 v low charge-18v HIGH charge..

Edited by steve(ill) - 31 Mar 2024 at 12:42pm
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 2:54pm
Thanks guys for the replies! I guess this may be a good charger when I have a dead battery, but not for just maintaining the charge level. My late dad bought these tractors back in the 50's and they don't get a lot of use, but I want to keep batteries up so they are ready if I want to use them. I have been driving these tractors for 70 years and we are both getting old and don't do as much work as we used to..thanks again..Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic