This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting rocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting rocks
    Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:23pm
Found these "A" typical rocks while digging out a spring.
Nerver saw these before on our farm.
Just this one time in a recent exivation of a spring.

Funny thing, where there is clay formations water bubbles up out of the ground.
I am capturing this water and plan to make spring development watering troughs.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:28pm

When the rocks are chiped or broken. The inside is a darker gray that seems to be encapsulated in a lighter brown coating.

I would assume a volcanic revolution but NO where else have I seen these rocks.

What's your thoughts ?
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:16pm
I am not familiar with the geology in your area, but that looks a lot like limestone.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 8:04am
Looks like limestone to me also. Have lots of it in are area.

J.Carlson
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 8:21am
It's limestone and with not seeing it in person I'm guessing it is what we call cap rock in Iowa.
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 12:58pm
We always called them sex stones if we had to pick them up out of a field.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 1:13pm
Any evidence of the CCC doing any work on your property back in the 1930’s? They may have hauled in that rock, buried it in your ravines.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:00pm
Is the dark part very hard with a smooth glasslike surface? If so, it may be chirt or flint.
You may be able to strike it with a piece of steel and get sparks. 
The better quality stuff was used to make arrow heads and other tools by the ancients.
I ran across a vein of it when a heavy rain washed out an old log road on my property here in the Western Catskills of New York.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 7:35pm
We don't have limestone in our area.....
Not that the good lord didn't drop some on our farm but I will investigate more.....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 9:21pm
And.....you might want to "investigate" chirt as well.   J M H O
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 10:16pm

Looks like common limestone.

If it's flint/chert it will break and feel like oily glass.

You could sell flint/chert online. I paid a mint for some recently (long hobby since a kid).

This is a great channel. He has a video on finding rocks to start with.

Edited by jvin248 - 30 Mar 2024 at 10:17pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 11:42am
The first picture is your rock, the other two are mine. I think you can see some similarity although the dark portion on mine appears smoother. 
On mine the dark part is very hard and very smooth yet similar in color to yours. 
The Chert/Flint is sort of encapsulated in the softer brown material.
When my brother and I ran across these when we were kids we called them dinosaur bones because the brown part sorta has the texture and color of old bones. 
As I said, a few years ago I found a "vein" of this stuff after a flood washed out one of my old log roads.

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 6:52pm
Rocks are formed as a result of materials being compressed together, and chemically binding from any number of circumstances.

There's three basic types of rocks:
Sedimentary, Igneous, Metamorphic

Sedimentary are just as they sound- the result of water and wind distributing surface accumulation of material, then pressure and chemistry binding the soil contents together.  The indicator of a sedimentary rock, is layeriing, and the general ease at which it can be broken into layers and dust.  Limestone and sandstone are the most common examples, formed from clay.  Chirt is a type of limestone where biological organisms's decay leaves behind exoskeletal remains that form a high content of particular patterns of metals like calcium, phosphorus, pottasium, silica, iron....

Igneious rocks are magmatic- formed by intense heat and pressure... and usually when this happens, there's lots of things that simply don't appear because, at that temp and pressure, the other stuff simply cannot stick around... it gets 'boiled out.  Igneous includes more iron and silica... with smaller components of sedimentary source to form basalt, granite, mica and quartz, flint, feldspar...  and if it happens to be infused with gasses that expand as it freezes, it'll form abrasive crystalline structures like pumice, ash, and stuff.

Metamorphic is what you get when sedimentary rock is subjected to high enough pressure and temperature to melt, but not flow.  It gets patterns and layers, but it doesn't easily break apart, because it has interfused itself.   Slate, marble and quartzite are the metamorphics most people come across regularly.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 9:03pm
So Dave, in your comsidered opinion, which type of rocks do Macon and I have?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 11:14am
Here are a few better photos of mine.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 3:32pm
Your closeup pictures make it clear your rocks are different. They do not have the smooth glasslikefeatures that mine have.
Don't know what they could be.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 6:09pm
Found 2 more larger ones today in another spring about 100 yards away from current spring development....

These rocks always seem to be around gray soupy clay.
Google lens cannot identify them .

Edited by Macon Rounds - 01 Apr 2024 at 9:03pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:31am
I have some rocks just like Brian is showing.  I know nothing about how to identify rocks. I just know this area is a geologic abnormally, in that things are very strange here. Things that don't normally show up in the same area can be found here.  But the meeting of tetrionic plates (San Andrus Fault) and volcanic activity mixed things up a lot.

My property is in a limestone area, but several bits of sandstone pushed up into the limestone. I have been told more soil types in my county than most midwestern states.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 2:09pm
Sure looks like limestone which is prevalent throughout Missouri, Kansas, etc.  Might be sandstone.  Would also seem to align with your spring....water would flow more easily through sandstone/limestone vs. less porous granite, etc.  Might explain why the water chose to "bubble up" where it did.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 2:53pm
Seems one way to tell composition was a scratch test of base material , finding which material is harder - base or the stone used to scratch it . 
 Had to take a geology class when i did the Building Inspection classes - but the terms that were used and system was different that classes I had for Waste Water license . 
  USDA was one and dang if I haven't slipped my mind on the other 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic