This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7850 filter ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7850 filter ID
    Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 6:59pm
Can anyone tell me what this filter is on the left side frame rail?the hose seems to go up to the engine block behind the starter so I'm thinking it's oil, not fuel. I can't find it in the parts breakdown. I was thinking bypass oil, but it looks completely different than what isbin the parts diagram. Was there a change?
Sponsored Links

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 7:08pm

Looks like something someone cobbled in. Granted my 7580 has a repower but it doesn’t have a filter outside the frame rails. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 7:31pm
It has this on the left, and also a water separator and electric fuel pump outside the frame rail on the opposite side. Kinda weird because according to the serial, 2434, I don't believe it should have had an electrical fuel pump. Both filters look factory and not all that cobbled.
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 8:02pm
The filter on the frame rail is the by-pass or secondary oil filter. It replaced the luber-finer canister that was located in the open behind the engine. Although a very good design, they were sometimes problematic and prone to leaks if not assembled properly. Allis then installed and updated units to this spin -on type and actually the filter is not a by-pass type, but a full-flow filter, 3306 CAT if I'm remembering correctly. It serves the purpose well though and oil flow is restricted by the orfice coming off the oil cooler. It was meant to mounted above the starter. The small filter above it is the coolant conditioner filter. ,HTH, Mike
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 8:10pm
Thanks Mike. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for the spin on filter would you? I need to get the tractor trucked home first, but my first task will be to change all the fluids and filters.
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 8:19pm
1791 NAPA, lube filter, Your welcome and good luck!

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 9:20pm
How long has it been sitting?
Looks like it’s been while…
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 9:47pm
I was told from the guy that I purchased it from that he bought it 2 years ago. It ran and drove off the trailer to where it currently sits. No idea where it originally came from or how long it had been there, but it appears to have been a number of years.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 10:42pm
Love it when people save those big 4x4s from scrap!!!
I wish to own one eventually but time and money talks first…
Good luck!!!
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 11:22pm
I too would say an engine bypass filter. I would also add it was put in a very dangerous place. Dirt and mud are going to be constantly hitting it as well as the oil lines. The correct place for that is up in between the starter and that water filter.

The first bypass filters were up behind the engine, and under an orange hood that was held down with two springs one on each side. They had a seal that would go bad and dump all the oil out on the ground under pressure. The spin on bypass was a much needed changeover.

Edited by Unit3 - 10 Mar 2024 at 11:26pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic