This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emotions at the cow auction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emotions at the cow auction
    Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 6:53pm
Couple years back i had a cow that i knew would never reach her potential at my little farm so i sold half interest in her to a really good cow man, kevin stoltzfus and he housed her at his farm in Pennsylvania. And she did really well in the show circuit. She had a couple of heifers calve in last spring. One of them wasn't very good and had some health issues so we beefed her. But she calved with a heifer out of a pasture bull. So you have a calf with a hole in both sides of the pedigree. Probably not worth the cost of raising. So i tell kevin he can have this one and i will take the next one.

A year goes by and they are looking for consignments for the hard core sale. Kevin puts her in the sale and she is a really nice heifer but thats it. I wasn't at the sale today but according to people who were, a bidding war started between to guys that supposedly don't like each other. When the dust settles, 27,700 dollars for a freaking heifer. Who do you think is happier, the guy who bought her or the guy who didn't ?

Edited by dr p - 09 Mar 2024 at 6:54pm
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 7:10pm
$27,700 for a "commercial" heifer? Jeez!! I heard cow prices are up but DAMN!!
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:15pm
She will win a county show but i don't think she can win at Madison. And the heifer who won at madison two years ago sold for half of that
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:20pm
WOW!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:42pm
You know the saying, at an auction all's it takes is two...LOL
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 5:56am
I wonder how their wives took the "he started it" excuse?
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 6:05am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

You know the saying, at an auction all's it takes is two...LOL

Same as at a fight, takes two,,,,,,,,,LOL LOL Clap
That is an outrageous price for her.  WOW is right!
No wonder beef prices are so high! LOL Wink
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 6:30am
'more money than brains' ?

hmm, udderly rediculous, 
I herd it was a real mooving auction
sorry, didn't mean to horn in on your story...

Edited by jaybmiller - 10 Mar 2024 at 6:31am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

'more money than brains' ?

hmm, udderly rediculous, 
I herd it was a real mooving auction
sorry, didn't mean to horn in on your story...

Very amoosing...LOL
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 9:32pm
Nice when things happen like that. 25 years ago we put an open heifer in a Sale At Cobleskill, New York and she was high selling heifer. The Masonic Homes prefix sold the heifer, but the extra money was nice. Congratulations...Harvey
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 11:05pm
Man, I could build a nice hotrod for that kinda' money!  Damn!                                                                                                                  
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 9:53pm
There is a passage in Proverbs that states "pride cometh before a fall." I think that bidding was a prime example of that.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 10:49pm
I think the happiest guy is the one who sold the heifer.  They had an Angus cow near here sell several years ago for over 300k and all you got was the embryos from what I understood of  the sale
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 11:04pm
What happens if the buyer refuses to pay? I know he won’t get the heifer, but what could happen? Aside from the heifer being offered to the runner up bidder.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

There is a passage in Proverbs that states "pride cometh before a fall." I think that bidding was a prime example of that.

Yessir, Hubert hit it on the head
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 8:15pm
I told kevin when something happens that seems to be too good to be true, it usually is. Heifer won't be breeding age until june through September, right during show season. When she goes out on the colored shavings and gets beat. The buyers remorse kicks in. Dairy cows are sold with a guarantee that they will get pregnant. After she loses three or four times that is when the buyer will want his money back, claiming the cow isn't fertile
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 6:37am
Livestock Auctions or sales are and have always been Buyer Beware. Will have no recourse if not knowledgable enough to recognize too young for breeding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic