This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Crop 60 Mystery Drive Flange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Crop 60 Mystery Drive Flange
    Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:29am
I haven't been able to figure out what this flange and some mounting brackets on the grain bin unloading sheave/shield are for on one of my 1948 AC 60 combines. I can't find anything like it in the attachments section of the manual. The way all of those screws are run into the shield, I assume this is some sort of farmer-designed add on. I just can't figure out what it would've been for.

Any ideas?

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 5:27pm
Looks like a farmerization on the flange. Possibly couldn't get the right part, so he made it out of what was handy.  Bracket looks like it could possibly hold a igloo or gatoraid 5 gallon cooler or a 5 gallon bucket.  Bend the bracket a little forward, and a large fire extinguisher might be another possibility...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 6:42am
I would have guessed that combine has (or had in the past) a scour-kleen: That bracketry would be in the right place to strap a bucket/pail to for the scour-kleen to dump into. I do something very similar: Ratchet-strapping an old oil pail in that same spot for the scour-kleen to dump into.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 6:58am

I agree with Daniel. Bracket to secure some type of container to catch the weed seeds etc coming out of the Scourclean.

G

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/275872558454

Edited by Gary - 10 Mar 2024 at 7:04am
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 9:31am
Interesting! I had written off having anything to do with a Scour Kleen since I can tell from the installation instructions that it's not driven off of the unloading auger. However the guy I got this from had previously scrapped 2 more All-Crops and it's possible one of them had a Scour Kleen, and I'm sure lots of parts got swapped over the years to keep one of the combines running.

But putting some sort of container there using those added brackets makes sense.

The drive flange still confuses me - it would only be turning when you unload, right? Maybe Dave is right and someone lost or broke the original round casting piece that's supposed to go there, and managed to put this on there?
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 10:57am
I'm not sure what you mean by a drive flange: That four-bolt flange you have (which is missing two bolts) is a standard stamped/pressed steel flange for the shaft bearing. The flange is stationary, the bearing inside (clamped between the two flange halves) is for the shaft. If you Google: 'stamped steel flange bearing' you'll see examples.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by DanielW DanielW wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by a drive flange: That four-bolt flange you have (which is missing two bolts) is a standard stamped/pressed steel flange for the shaft bearing. The flange is stationary, the bearing inside (clamped between the two flange halves) is for the shaft. If you Google: 'stamped steel flange bearing' you'll see examples.

Ah, thank you. I took a closer look at it and see what you're talking about - it is not a coupling, but just a support for the bearing.

I also realized there is a short lever behind this assembly that I don't see on my other 60. You can see it in my picture as well. This may be from an older parts machine... Did the earlier All-Crops require someone to engage/disengage a lever right at the auger drive in order to unload? Maybe the old ones didn't have the rod for remotely engaging/disengaging the unloading auger from the hitch?
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 6:55pm
Both my 66's have the lever in that spot for the unloading auger. I may be wrong, but I thought it was only the 72 and 90 that had the unloading auger engage from the end of the drawbar? But I could definitely be wrong. Between the 60 and the 66 (which was pretty much the same machine, just with the cutter bar extended a little) there were a lot of permutations and options that could have been had.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 9:52pm
Well that is interesting. I am not at all familiar with the 66s. Both of my 60 manuals (one is for serial number 23801 and up, and the other for 93799 and up) describe using the shift rod from the gearbox to the end of the tongue for engaging the unloading auger.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic