This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Memorial Section
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #1
    Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 9:58pm
It HAS to be Norm Swinford.  The author of OUR Holy Grail.  I think this man did more for US and Allis-Chalmers than any other person.  The history, the facts the insight and what ever else I can't think of.  He was a great man!  I was luck enough to have met him and talked with him and his wife Betty.  He lived in Greenfield, WI..

Norm Swinford Obituary

Swinford, Norm Died peacefully surrounded by family on Feb 1, 2014, at the age of 89. Loving husband of Betty Hawkins Swinford, beloved father of David (Bonnie), Ann (Mo El-Fouly), Mark (Jill, deceased) and Paul (Angela) Swinford, and grandfather of Jessica, Matthew, Eric and Luke Swinford and 9 great-grandchildren. Predeceased by his son Douglas Lynn, parents Grace and Percy Swinford, sister Mildred, and brothers Ronald and Butch. Norm served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II, rising to the rank of second lieutenant as a B-24 pilot. He worked for Allis Chalmers from 1958-1985 beginning as a sales representative and advancing to Senior Product Manager for Tractors for Allis Chalmers and subsequently Deutz-Allis. After retirement Norm authored 5 books chronicling Allis Chalmers and farm machinery including the definitive text "Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment 1914-1985". He was a consultant for ERTL Collectibles advising them on Allis Chalmers tractor models. He was very active in the farm equipment community and Allis Chalmers collectors clubs and their camaraderie brought great joy into his life. The Memorial Service is scheduled for July 5, 2014, at Greendale Community Church. Details will be announced closer to the date. He will be laid to rest with his son in Indiana.

From our honored Bill Long:
"I have a copy of every book MR. SWINFORD wrote.  Autographed. Also a picture with Mr. Swinford in Union Bridge.
Great Man.
Good Luck!
Bill Long"

He mentioned Union Bridge, but....
Stated by John (C-IL)   (John Schweizer)
I think Bill meant that he was in Union Grove, WI. I was there and I met Bill and his son.

Thanks John.  I was in fact at Union Grove, WI for the GOTO "Coming Home".  A great show with a parade in West Alis WI.  I was pleased to meet some very great people there.  Some that I have seen or contact since.
I was honored to meet MR. SWINFORD.  The picture above is valued.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
ps:  You know we have a Union Bridge here in MD and I think I got that confused.

Edited by Ted J - 06 Mar 2024 at 10:21pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 7:13am
I met him at Ted's show. I have a signed book I bought from him.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 8:36am
Good point Ted.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 8:42am
I to met Norm at Union Grove. I had him sign my book that I purchased. Got to chat with him for a few minutes, and told him what we do. I remember him telling me like it was yesterday. "Keep doing what your doing" "People will need that wiring"!

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic