This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

500.00 forklift. What could go wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescadoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 500.00 forklift. What could go wrong?
    Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 4:19pm
Turns out...just about everything.  I bought this simply to move some machines around my garage.  First thing that happened was the entire steering shaft came out and I needed to replace the steering from the box up.  Midwest Steering found me the correct unit and I thought GREAT!  Got it bolted up...finally, and steering is good.  THEN I checked(yah, I should have done that before I bought it, but it was SUPPOSED to have been cheaper than renter a forklift for the week) the oil....Dead.  I believe this is a Buda 153, but any help would be appreciated.  BOTH the oil and the water are contaminated.  I didn't notice it smoking when the seller ran it, but I guess it didn't run long enough....smokes a....lot.

Edited by pescadoman - 13 Nov 2023 at 6:57pm
Sponsored Links

pescadoman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescadoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 4:38pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 5:33pm
as long as the oil and antifreeze are not mixing, just drain and refill with GOOD... and monitor.  A little smoke dont hurt in the short run.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescadoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 6:05pm
It's mixed, both in crankcase and the radiator...
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 7:23pm
for a TRIAL fix, you could put a bottle of  BARS block and radiator sealer in with a couple gallons of water... and new oil... and run it till it gets hot.. Shut off and let it set and see what happens.. I have used this for radiator / coolant leaks EXTERNAL...  and had one 125 CID engine that had bad o-ring around  one cylinder liner and it sealed that up..

Just monitor the oil and dont let it get too milky..
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 7:27pm
Been a few years, but i have had luck with the BARS 1109  --------- since you have a MIX in both radiator and crank case, you might have a head gasket leak.... Never used it on that..
-------------

If you're having issues with larger cooling system leaks, Bar's Leaks Block Seal Liquid Copper Intake & Radiator Stop Leak can help. The one step formula seals and permanently repairs larger leaks. Includes: Permanently repairs leaks in gaskets, radiators, heater cores, intake manifolds, blocks, heads, and freeze plugs.

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 Nov 2023 at 7:28pm
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 9:51pm
Not sure how oil can get in the radiator. I would drain both and refill and watch. I have had these apart and good luck finding parts. I have a few sources
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescadoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2023 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by im4racin im4racin wrote:

Not sure how oil can get in the radiator. I would drain both and refill and watch. I have had these apart and good luck finding parts. I have a few sources
If it had an oil cooler.... 

Edited by pescadoman - 14 Nov 2023 at 1:19am
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 6:26am
When did the g153 get an oil cooler?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 8:49am
dont think it has a cooler... if it did, DISCONNECT IT !
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 9:01am
What's the chanch PO added wrong fluid in wrong compartment? Worth drain/refill to see what's going on.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescadoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 11:07am
Originally posted by im4racin im4racin wrote:

When did the g153 get an oil cooler?
Best of my knowledge, it was only available with a trans cooler.  I was simply answering one way a radiator can get oil in the water...generally speaking.  The trans fluid looks really good btw.  There is a very good possibility that there are unassociated issues that are causing this.  The smoke, and it's got a broken exhaust pipe of course, lingered and looked more like oil than water.  I have also read that propane can cause condensation build up in trucks that are only run for short periods.  This is a whole new world for me.  I have a mild knowledge of cars and diesel trucks, so I truly appreciate any advice or help..
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 12:29pm
change the engine oil and antifreeze and start over... monitor.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 5:00am
Depending on how cold it gets in your area, you might want to use water in the radiator (and drain it if it gets cold) rather than antifreeze, until you can get the coolant to stop mixing with the engine oil.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 8:54am
For $500. bucks, even with the issues it has, I think you still did good!  Forklifts are great for movin' heavy chit' around. It's a back saver to say the least. I agree with Steve. Drain everything and start from scratch and monitor it. It might have a head gasket going away on it little by little. I've used Barrs leaks in the past with great success.  If it is equipped with an oil cooler and it's the original, that could be your culprit. Disconnect it before you do the oil change and coolant change and run it and see what happens. It may be fine without the oil cooler being connected. I also agree with Curt on just running water in it to see if the milkshake stops.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescadoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

For $500. bucks, even with the issues it has, I think you still did good!  Forklifts are great for movin' heavy chit' around. It's a back saver to say the least. I agree with Steve. Drain everything and start from scratch and monitor it. It might have a head gasket going away on it little by little. I've used Barrs leaks in the past with great success.  If it is equipped with an oil cooler and it's the original, that could be your culprit. Disconnect it before you do the oil change and coolant change and run it and see what happens. It may be fine without the oil cooler being connected. I also agree with Curt on just running water in it to see if the milkshake stops.
Steve@B&B
I'm up to around 1400.00 now. 500+175(delivery)+660(steering) +80(new master cylinder)  UPDATE.  The smoke was actually from some debris that got wedged in next to the muffler.  Now to fix the brakes, put in new plugs and set the valves...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic