This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charge Air Cooler:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charge Air Cooler:
    Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 9:44am
My 11-B tractor is turbocharged but not inter, or aftercooled. Injection pump is fresh and all filters are new. No problems at all but have room for a charge air cooler in back of the grille on a swing mount for cleaning, or can mount a water to air coil onto the engine. 

Reason for my question is tractor has great power and balance as is but I'm kinda wondering if this would be any kind of improvement? I've seen this series of engine produce well over the power output it currently makes and being a "gearhead" from days gone by sets me off to wandering if this is feasible. Cooler, denser air input is always good whether you dump more fuel to the engine or not, is my thinking.  
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 9:42pm
I think you'll find that it probably won't increase the HP any, unless you also increase the fuel delivery too. Now, if your engine is a bit overfueled already, it probably will add some HP. I've always felt the inter or after cooling was when exhaust temps were getting too high, that was the next step to keeping the engine together heat wise. I do know when an inter/after water type cooler is added to a cooling system, the radiator core gets thicker (4 rows of tubes goes to 5 rows of tubes) to get rid of the extra heat picked up from the water cooled intake manifold. This info is specific to a 7030/40 to 7050/60 farm tractor engine application.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 10:02pm
I was told the fuel delivery was set to factory settings and when the pump was rebuilt recently, those settings were retained. By the books this should be about 140 flywheel horsepower. These engines develop well over 200 horsepower in other applications such as wheel loaders, but the way the dozer performs in it's stock trim, I don't see any reason to increase the power. Parts are just too difficult to acquire to wreck them through abuse. 

I'm kinda wondering about lengthening the service life of the engine. It will do just fine in my tenure but wondering if the charge air cooling would provide any benefit  from a purely service life extension point of view. It runs what I would consider damned near perfect and doesn't miss a beat along with starting very easily. Don't want to hurt it in any way; but will use it probably to limit. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 10:18pm
If that's the 516 engine, they had it at 270 flywheel HP in the N-7 and R-7 Gleaner combines. Never heard anything bad about them, in fact usually all good. They were intercooled and had a P-series Robert Bosch in-line injection pump on them. Turbo was same as a Mack truck of the day, a TV-77 Air-Research which worked good on D-21 pullers with EXTRA fuel and big injector tips !!!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 7:03am
Yes, this is the 516 engine or 11000 Mk. II as referenced in the manual. I've looked in different manuals I have on the engine series and there are differences to the injection pump drives and seemingly front timing covers from what I have which is a "DC" Roosa-Master pump. The fuel shop guy tells me the injection pump and nozzles are easy to upgrade for more fuel, but again I don't want to shorten the service life of the engine or parts on the tractor; just too difficult to find replacements to unnecessarily expend.

I've not delved into the numbers but the turbocharger installed is embossed T04 and is physically small in compared to some of my trucks. It does have a nice "whine" through the exhaust however.   

Never really being around anything AC except for track type tractors and a small amount of wheel loaders many years ago, I hadn't realized the engine series was used so broadly. I know where there are a couple of combines that are worn out so may pursue one of these for the engine which I believe still runs. I really would like to have a spare engine for parts running or not.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 7:23am
My brother had a 71 11B.It had a P pump. It would do more work than a D6C of that time. The 2-speed PS had better suited ground speed.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 7:40am
I'll have this one back down in your area in the spring doing a couple jobs for family. Wanting to convert about 12 acres of overgrowth into hay or something useful yet still retain the bordering treeline. Very limited access to the back area now so going to punch one through.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic