This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2000 Polaris 335 Sportsman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 Polaris 335 Sportsman
    Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 12:58pm
Looking for confirmation really, or tell me I’m way off.

Seems to be pushing oil into the air box. I’m assuming I got bad rings. The weird thing is, the oil in the air box is milky with moisture while if you check the oil in the sump it looks normal.
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Looking for confirmation really, or tell me I’m way off.

Seems to be pushing oil into the air box. I’m assuming I got bad rings. The weird thing is, the oil in the air box is milky with moisture while if you check the oil in the sump it looks normal.

Water cooled or air cooled?
Make sure your crank case breather is open and unobstructed.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 4:10pm
the crankcase becomes pressurized with the piston going up and down...  To get rid of the pressure, you vent off the case to atmosphere or run to a PCV type valve that helps suck up the fumes and burn them thru the intake manifold... To replentish the air that is burned, there might be a hose from the air cleaner to the valve cover ( fresh air intake).... as Thad said, if the PCV type valve or hose gets plugged, the system dont work and the fumes go backward into the air cleaner.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 4:44pm
Air cooled.

There is a hose that connects right next to the oil filter and routes to the air box. If you drive it fairly fast and then quickly take the cover off the air box you can see it coming in where that hose connects. I don’t think there’s a pcv from the valves to the air cleaner, but I’ll have to check into it in more detail. There is another connection on the other side of the box with nothing on it. Don’t know if there’s supposed to be.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 5:20pm
SPORTSMAN 335

With many of the same features offered on the the Polaris Sportsman 500, the Sportsman 335 is a versatile member of the Sportsman family at a more modest price. A distinctive feature of the Sportsman 335 is its engine: a Polaris 335 4-stroke, air-cooled engine with advanced dry sump lubrication, fan-assisted oil cooler, and a 34mm Mikuni carburetor. The power is managed by the automatic PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission), which eliminates shifting and ensures the wheels always get just the right power for the conditions.

https://cdn.polarisindustries.com/polaris/common/parts-manuals/9914987r02.pdf

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/polaris-a99ch33cb-1999-sportsman-335-parts-c-179712_179713_180249_180266.html

Edited by Clay - 18 Jun 2023 at 5:28pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:56am
Pretty sure it doesn’t have PCV, but I’ll look again.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 11:57am
Clay your link no worky
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 12:34pm
Sorry the link did not work.  I too tried and no worky.  The parts link works.  
Facebook has some good Polaris groups.
lhttp://www.ereplacementparts.com/polaris-a99ch33cb-1999-sportsman-335-parts-c-179712_179713_180249_180266.html

Edited by Clay - 19 Jun 2023 at 12:36pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 5:02pm
crankcase musts be vented.. either to atmosphere, or back to the INTAKE MANIFOLD thru a PCV valve that controls the flow...... FRESH AIR is taken into the crank case ( valve cover) by a hose from the air cleaner...... similar to drawing below.....

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 5:10pm
It is vented, that’s what I’m talking about, the hose from low on the engine ( by oil filter), to the air box. But should be just vapor, it’s pushing oil up this hose, you can watch it. What I’m saying is, no valve and line connected to valve cover.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 5:13pm
It’s a dry sump type, an oil tank separate from the engine, no oil pan per se, so has very low level in the engine itself. Hose would be connected just above that I would think.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 5:44pm
Is it using oil excessively or smoking?
Could run that hose to its own flame later up under the gas tank or somewhere other than the air cleaner.
On my motorcycle I ran it up under the gas tank and stuffed some scotchbright in the hose for a filter.
Once a year I clean it or replace the scotchbright
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 5:59pm

Picture check
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 6:05pm
Ok picture worked. Those are the 3 oil lines connected to the engine. The lowest one goes to the oil cooler, the middle one comes from the bottom of the oil tank, the top one routes to the air box. The oil cooler returns to near the top of the oil tank. Then there’s a line off the very top of the tank that must be a vent. It appears that should be connected to the other port on the air box, it’s the right length and has a clamp on it. It’s currently hanging in free space, guessing that the guy who worked on it last left it off, not me. I can’t imagine that would make any difference.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2023 at 6:08pm
And you can easily blow through the vent hose, not instructed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic