This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8550 thermostat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8550 thermostat
    Posted: 27 May 2023 at 7:21pm
Never a good time for a breakdown, but Saturday afternoon on a holiday weekend has to be the worst. Pretty sure that the thermostat stuck on my 8550, temp guage heads for hot very fast, coolant tube on the side of the engine definitely feels hot, but upper radiator hose and radiator isn't hot. Got it shut down, don't think that I hurt the engine any. But, butler was already closed, sure they won't be open until Tuesday morning. Looks like rain tomorrow, so the hundred acres I could have had in yet today would have been awesome. Any other options out there for a thermostat that matches up from something else? Anyone have one sitting on the shelf? Aggravated!!
Darrel
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 7:55pm
Gut the bad one, leaving something in there to keep the flow at a reasonable speed. If an openly gutted stat gives you the same result.....it ain't the stat.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 11:20pm
I agree with Dr. .
don’t run too long without a thermostat because it shouldn’t warm up anymore than 130 degrees running pushing the tractor hard…
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 8:22am
Well, with this being my first experience with thermostats in the big boys, it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I guess that for those familiar with how they work, the seal that the thermostat tube slides back and forth in was never seated in squarely. The thermostat tube had gouge marks on one side of it from scraping on the metal of the seal rather than the rubber. The wear pattern on the tube was even much closer to the end of the tube on one side than the other. I put the thermostat in a pot of water and brought it to a boil, and it worked exactly as it should. Knowing that I would not be able to score a new thermostat and seal for it for God knows how long, we just drove the seal down the rest of the way on the side that wasn't down properly, shined up that tube on the thermostat, and put her together in hopes of seeding today. Then we got an inch of rain last night anyway, can't seed today. Oh well, hopefully it will work properly for the rest of seeding, and I'll replace the thermostat and seal in the off season. Not a bad gig to do.
Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic