This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rotobaler repair advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotobaler repair advice needed
    Posted: 21 May 2023 at 8:38pm
Last year i dragged a converted number 10 rotobaler out of a hedgerow where it had been left to die. I brought it up last fall on the forum and many members said you need to COMPLETELY disassemble the machine and go from there.

And i did. I found a lot of frozen and broken parts. Much thanks to mike z, sandy lake, and ron from john schmidt and sons for finding parts long since forgotten.

So today we had the the first test and honestly, it did not go well. I need help in addressing these first three problems: 1. The new upper belts fail to turn. They are nos endless belts and the drive rollers spins fine. It feels like i need just a little more tension on then. I am going to try a little belt dressing but if that doesn't work, do i shorten the tension rods? Second the roller guards are not the same distsnce from the guides, the one on the right is three inches from the guide while the one on the left is an inch above from the guide(why are they above the guides). The third is related to the twine wrapping mechanism. The twine tube crank goes all the time. It seems to trip the hay conveyor mechanism ( sometimes the conveyor goes and then it stops but the twine tube doesn't falls, and a couple seconds go by and it starts again.

Any help is much appreciated
Sponsored Links

dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:01pm
A wise man said a rotobaler never killed a man but many a man has jumped into one in sheer frustration
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:16pm
Actually, one of my dad's neighbors was killed in a rotobaler (before I was born). Dad and my uncle helped take the baler apart to get him out. I heard Dad talk about it many times.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 9:52pm
Where are you located? If you are close, I will come over and SET it for you. I have baled 10's of thousands of bales with 2 of them. I am In south central Iowa.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:06am
Unfortunately i am in upstate new york(and i have a spare for right now) but at this this rate I might ship it to you. I have used one for 25 years but this is the first time i have ever tried to resurrect one. Last night i tried belt dressing to see if that would help. It literally spit the the upper roller out. The belt dressing didn't help. Afraid i am going to need to replace the drive roller
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 6:02am
Belt dressing didn't seem to make a difference even after several applications so going to shorten tension rod
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 7:29am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Belt dressing didn't seem to make a difference even after several applications so going to shorten tension rod

Top belts definitely need to be real tight
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 7:31pm
First problem is key is shears in tension brake or dog springs broke. Next, long spring on back is weak, broken, or needs adjusted.                  MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic