This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model D grader clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model D grader clutch
    Posted: 06 May 2023 at 10:44am
Ok so I bought this big yellow money pit.   I have wanted one in the worst kind of way, and that's how I got it.  Actually, It's not really so bad.  It's a D Special and was supposed to only need a Carb. rebuild.  Got it home and the engine was stuck.  Pulled the engine to find it free and it was the clutch that was stuck.  No time to celebrate, the engine would have been easier to fix.  The clutch is toast, but is the same as the early D17 and available.  Now to the sad part of this story.  The throw-out bearing carrier is rusted to the guide tube.  Took a week, but I got the three cap screws holding the guide tube/ input shaft bearing retainer out.  It is now loose on the shaft.  I can't lay the clutch fingers down because the clutch arm is also frozen to the shaft. The service manuals are sold in sections and I can't find the one for the transmission.  From the parts book it looks like I can pull the Aux. transmission out and the input shaft will retract letting the guide tube come out.  Looks like a lot of things have to come off (cab) first.  Question, If I pull the aux. trans. and input shaft how much falls off inside the trans. requiring a tear down?  Any advice, criticisms, degrading remarks, or sarcasm are welcome.

Edited by Dave Richards (WV) - 06 May 2023 at 10:46am
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 11:30am
Your luck runs about like mine, so hope it gets better. Have not been into a grader so no help. But try General Gear in Idaho, they started as a used parts business. Have got into many after market parts for crawlers of all colors. As another service they put parts books online, for crawlers. So they may have books on graders and other old construction machines too.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 12:17pm
Bolt the input retainer back in and soak everything down with wd40 RUST RELEASE.  NOT NORMAL WD40.  It is water based and only works on rust. After a few soakings it will generally start moving.  That stuff works!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic