This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1952 WD oil bath air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikey Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1952 WD oil bath air cleaner
    Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 10:10am
I have thoroughly cleaned the inside (including the mesh screen and the outer/inner air passages) of the oil bath air cleaner. Some how oil is being pulled into the carburater. I only filled the bowl to the fill line with 10W-30 engine oil. Why is this happening is happening?
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 4:48pm
Use SAE 30 wt and make sure you are not over filling it. Stay below the line. The 10w-30 may be too light if you haven’t over filled it.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 5:14pm
Straight 30 will not bubble thru as will the 10W30
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 5:43pm
Welcome to the forum 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 5:55pm
i have never had a problem using 10w 30... are you SURE the inside screen is clean ? Not just the part you can see... you need to SOAK the air cleaner in a bucket of diesel / gas/ solvent ... then drain and blow out with air... If you plug up 30% of the air path, the remaining area has to pull MORE AIR thru a smaller section and the extra velocity can carry more oil thru.

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Mar 2023 at 5:56pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:04pm
Any chance it has a WD-45 engine, or has been rebuilt with WD-45 components? Not sure if the slightly bigger displacement would cause it to suck oil in (experts on here probably know if this happens), but I think the WD air cleaner was smaller than the WD-45. Just a thought for something else to check.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

Any chance it has a WD-45 engine, or has been rebuilt with WD-45 components? Not sure if the slightly bigger displacement would cause it to suck oil in (experts on here probably know if this happens), but I think the WD air cleaner was smaller than the WD-45. Just a thought for something else to check.

Probably not a bad idea, small restrictions in the air flow path could increase air velocity and vacuum.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:45pm
Take the wire mash out, soak it in gas then set the mash on fire. When it cools, unroll it and knock the dirt out. Next, cut top of housing off just below where it starts to taper down. Use a wire to clean dirt out between inside and outside wall. When clean bronze top back on. You won't believe how it ever ran before.                        
You will think the mash is going to burn up, but it won't. May have to burn it the second time  to get clean.                      MACK
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:51pm
Mikey Joe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikey Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:12am
I dissembled the air cleaner and used degreaser on the interior mesh. I then soaked and "sloshed" the entire cleaner body in a 5 gallon bucket of hot  water with Dawn. Did this several times over a couple of days. After that I sprayed degreaser in the air inlet between  the outer shell and inner liner. Finally I used a compressed air wand to blow out the interior of the shell.  Did a final soak/rinse with hot water and Dawn. This time the liquid was clear coming out of the air cleaner shell.
Mikey Joe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikey Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:14am
Engine straight WD except for manifold. It is from a D-17.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:20am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Take the wire mash out, soak it in gas then set the mash on fire. When it cools, unroll it and knock the dirt out. Next, cut top of housing off just below where it starts to taper down. Use a wire to clean dirt out between inside and outside wall. When clean bronze top back on. You won't believe how it ever ran before.                        
You will think the mash is going to burn up, but it won't. May have to burn it the second time  to get clean.                      MACK

I'm going to do this for the Narrow Front 45. Have an extra one in the parts vault, just get it ready then swap it out. I did the first half to the one in the wide front when I put the power steering on. Wasn't aware of there being a second half! It blew my mind how much 'stuff' came off the mesh when I burned it!

I suppose once I get the NF done I could do the one that comes off and put it on the WF. Here I told myself I was going to try to slow down on the projects this year.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 9:31am
Mikey, if you want to run a TEST, pull the rubber hose off to the carb and run the tractor for 30 minutes and see if it runs different..  or take the oil bowl off the air cleaner and run it that way... of course your not going to get any oil in the carb during this test, but you might see a difference in throttle response or power ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic