This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Project Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by JK in Pa JK in Pa wrote:

I believe I see valve rotators on the exhaust valves. I always thought valve rotators required offset rockers.

Offsetting was sometimes used in small engines when no valve rotation device was present to achieve rotation.  Offsetting is not supposed to be needed with a valve rotation device.  It certainly should not be so far off that it's barely contacting the valve stem and leaving giant divots because of force being limited to a tiny contact area.
Sponsored Links

1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 10:45am
Any update pics DFWallis? That looks wicked with the big tires. I just went stock size on my rear replacements. Can't wait to see it all put back together after you had the body parts painted.

I just came in from my morning fall ride on mine. Took the dog for a walk, so figured I'd give Allis a run too.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

Any update pics DFWallis? That looks wicked with the big tires. I just went stock size on my rear replacements. Can't wait to see it all put back together after you had the body parts painted.

I just came in from my morning fall ride on mine. Took the dog for a walk, so figured I'd give Allis a run too.

I just posted updates a few days ago.  It's not back together yet but mostly finished the engine rebuild internals.  I'm working on some hydraulic system mods at the moment.  I'm creating a pedestal out of a trailer pintle hitch and a hitch extension to get me the required height above the tires.  I've got the base complete except for painting.  I'll start on the platform for mounting the spools tomorrow when a connector arrives and i can determine the width of the side by side spool sets/valves.  I don't expect any significant progress before the spring.  I hate working in the cold :(
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by dfwallis dfwallis wrote:

Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

I just posted updates a few days ago.  It's not back together yet but mostly finished the engine rebuild internals.  I'm working on some hydraulic system mods at the moment.  I'm creating a pedestal out of a trailer pintle hitch and a hitch extension to get me the required height above the tires.  I've got the base complete except for painting.  I'll start on the platform for mounting the spools tomorrow when a connector arrives and i can determine the width of the side by side spool sets/valves.  I don't expect any significant progress before the spring.  I hate working in the cold :(

Awesome! I'll be watching for your future updates. You might teach me a few tricks to do to my CA.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 9:25pm
Progress 10/30/2023:  Designing a removable hydraulic console intended to bolt to the left side fender.  The console consists of a pintle hitch, and a hitch extender mounted vertically with a custom tray resting on top of the extension which is removable.  Two single acting valves mount to the side, a 4 spool valve set on the top.  It sticks out over the tractor tire for space reasons.  It may or may not fit exactly where I designed it to sit (may be too close to the seat), but I can move it forward or backward if needed.  The tray itself is designed to slide left or right.  I still have some plumbing work to go for the return.  Perhaps a little goofy, but fun anyway (I'm retired, I got time) :)  It weighs a ton...

The back view showing the mechanism for sliding the tray left or right.

It includes optional hose supports that can be added or removed when the dual acting spool valves on top are used.  

Closeup of a hose support.  Since the dual acting valve hoses will come off straight up, this supports them at about 16 inches (can be lowered) to prevent sharp bends.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 8:15am
so the vertical hitch is just a way to mount it to the tractor , so you can easily remove it when not needed ? .... Instead of bolts ? .... I see the threaded rod which allows you to adjust it in that direction.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 11:31am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

so the vertical hitch is just a way to mount it to the tractor , so you can easily remove it when not needed ? .... Instead of bolts ? .... I see the threaded rod which allows you to adjust it in that direction.

The bottom (pintle mount) section will be bolted to the fender wall.  I haven't drilled those holes (in the pintle bracket) yet so I can determine the best position.  I measured it and know very close where the holes will go but I made the bracket a little longer in case I need to adjust it right or left.  The top section is the removable part via the hitch pin.  I'm trying not to physically modify the tractor, just using existing bolt patterns as much as possible.  The threaded rod is designed to allow the tray to slide left or right (it is then tightened in that left or right position).  I was thinking ahead to deconflict it with my idea for a roll bar/canopy mount that mounts to the axle but will rise just outside the fender wall (so the wheels will have to be slightly spun out).  When that roll bar/canopy is installed, the tray will have to be slid right/forward to deconflict (since it sticks out over the tire).  The pintle hitch is mounted to a piece of 4 inch x 4 inch angle iron that I cut out the left and right floor sections.  The right section had to be cut to deconflict with the brake lever.  The left side was only cut for symmetry.  The forward fender bolt is around 4 inches from hole to back of brake lever.  The other fender bolt is 11 inches behind the forward fender bolt.  I have about an inch of play to adjust the position to deconflict with the brake lever and the seat.  

The console is fairly well balanced.  There is little stress on the mount when you operate the spool levers which have quite strong springs.  That was one worry with only having two mounting bolts.  I can add a horizontal support later if needed.

1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 5:35am
Wow! Nice!
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 3:14pm
My first draft of the hydraulic return for a CA.  I will first attempt return via filler cap as in below.  If that doesn't work well, I have a better idea, but I think this will be ok if the flow is sufficient.  Since the pump will be pulling out as fast as it's going back in, I don't anticipate problems, but I'll find out I guess.  It's likely I'll have to reduce the size of the brass nut a little, but that's pretty easy.  I may also need an o-ring.  I had to bore the hole in the stainless fitting out to 3/8 inch (my poor drill bits).  It was a 3/8 inch fitting with a 1/4" hole :(  Was designed for super high pressure but not needed on the return line.

Edited by dfwallis - 25 Jan 2024 at 3:15pm
CA13092
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic