This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bank failures,, farm loans interesting talk radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bank failures,, farm loans interesting talk radio
    Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:37pm
Was on the road tonight and listening to talk radio,, they were talking of bank failures and whats to come - Farm Crices of 2023; evevdently one analists sad the banks are losing money on big Ag loans- they are starting to call in loans- Farmer pays the difference; restructures at a higher interest rate then before; the deal changes and put pressure on the land owners ; 80.s again?? ; guess as long as the commedity prices hold up should be fine,, ??? 

Edited by DougG - 15 Mar 2023 at 7:16pm
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:53pm
Everything is doom and gloom on You Tube. Everyone has something different to say and everyone is an expert, everyone but me. Makes me wonder about the paper insurance policies we have been paying for, for years. Just remember, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:08am
So long as being repaid farm loans have not changed as I am aware.  The failures so far have been Investment Banks, those take funds from investors and invest massive sums into Tech Companies or developments.  Some invest in Real Estate ventures, others into massive corporation financing. not so much Loans but Investments where earn dividends that are then paid at a lesser rate to their own shares holders that did not have the funds for those huge investment deals.   SVB would make .2 to .7% on Billion Dollar investments after paying their own investors reasonable dividends at market rates.  .2% on $10 billion is a chunk of change.  When Tech flopped as META(Faceplant), Google, MSN and Twitter, then the returns failed, that in turn destroyed Investors values and left SVB sitting on bad paper.
Insurance investments are pretty well defined as Guarantee Investments, where they earn continued growth from stable money.  Thos companies did not and do not buy into the Techie BS.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Mar 2023 at 8:09am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:26am
Just took out a new $20k note.  Interest rate sucks by comparison, but approval was smooth sailing, no issues or discussion of troubles whatsoever.  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 6:00am
SPAM???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 7:41am
It my understanding, the majority of banks that have gone ‘teats up’ in this latest rash of takeovers, had failed to adhere to ISO 2022 standards. That standard was a revision of previous standards relating to the percentage of ‘hard assets’ these lending institutions were required to have on hand. These institutions either couldn’t or wouldn’t meet the new standards, thus they were ‘taken over’.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 8:57pm
Not sure about the second one but the California bank was not exactly the best managed bank and they invested in gov bonds thinking interest rates would stay low forever. My local bank is getting the crap beat out of it on share price. Seems to be well run and pays a good dividend. Tompkins trust company
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 6:55am
For about the last 30 years quite a few of the banks in my area change names after being bought out. Some of them 2-3 times.  Trying to figure out why this is happening. 

Edited by nella(Pa) - 21 Jul 2023 at 8:38am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 8:23am
The new bank wouldn't be responsible for old bank debts ????
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
AshleePace View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshleePace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 9:56am
It kinda reminds me of the challenges faced in the 80s. Seeking advice from experts like Mortgage Broker in Weston-super-Mare sounds like a smart move. Financial questions can indeed be tricky, but these professionals can offer valuable insights to navigate through tough times.  You mentioned commodity prices, and I totally agree; they could be a game-changer. If they stay stable or improve, it might bring some relief to the farming community. Let's hope for the best! It's crucial for farmers to stay informed, connect with support networks, and explore options to tackle these uncertainties.

Edited by AshleePace - 23 Jul 2023 at 7:22pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2023 at 11:52am
Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

For about the last 30 years quite a few of the banks in my area change names after being bought out. Some of them 2-3 times.  Trying to figure out why this is happening. 

Banking laws were changed making it easier to start a new bank 30 to 40 years ago. Probably close to dozen started here.  It took 20 to 30 people each having a $100,000 cash money for the start up. Then barrow just like the big banks from Federal Reserve. But like most things the little bit bigger ones start buying up smaller one. About 10 to 15 years ago laws changed again to make it harder for small banks, so buy outs increased.

One of the most successful of the small banks local had bought most of the other small banks. Then a bank out of southern California bought the last of the local small banks. So back to no local banks.  As a kid we had Bank of America or Crocker Anglo ( Crocker from the transcontinental railroad building). Both very large.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic