This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skid steer tire question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skid steer tire question
    Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 2:40pm
Got a Case 1845C that's going to need some new dancing shoes before to long. Backs are almost bald. Fronts about 25%. Here's my quandary, this thing spends 75% of it's time running in my stackhouse on concrete which, of course, wears the tires faster. Rears wear faster than fronts because that's where the constant weight is. These are the standard skid steer R4 type tires. Is there another tire that would last longer on concrete but still give good service in chicken litter? This is the machine I use in the chicken houses when I'm getting floors ready for babies so the ability to run in loose material is an absolute must. What have you fellas used and liked or not liked?

Edited by thendrix - 11 Mar 2023 at 2:44pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 3:05pm
The last Skid Loader tires I bought were Carlisle Track Cheif. They have a thick bead of rubber to protect the sidewall.https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/trac-chief/
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 3:30pm
When i had my tire shop,we sold many different brands of those. Titan and Galaxy were the heaviest tires we sold. I put Titans on my loader years ago, they are still looking good.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 10:11pm
1845c has chains do all 4 so the front and the back of the chain arnt working against each other  some one will buy the used ones  . kind of like running a back hoe around with one low or mismatched tire and wearing out one side of the bucket
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:20pm
Lot of snow contractors in this area are going to truck tires for winter use , having new centers to match lug spacing on skid loaders , also using wider offset on rim centers as they use snow pushers or long plows . 
 Was hauling snow and they were loading with a track machine or should say trying to , as was a slight downhill grade in parking area and machine would just slide down that when getting near truck box . 
 Using low profile 22.5" tires on some and other like 19" low boy tires .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
fourthgeneration View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourthgeneration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:18pm
I’ve found that recaps wear better than new on concrete. But those are from a company that has bandag use their molds.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 7:08am
Any of you fellas ever try solid tires on concrete? Do they hold up better than standard? I know they're quite a bit more expensive but if they last long enough they might be worth looking into
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
fourthgeneration View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourthgeneration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 6:01pm
I don’t think they wear any better. Just ride rougher have less traction and cost more. But they don’t get flats.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 7:30pm
I'm going back to Galaxy "Beefy Baby" tires on my 1845C. 1st set ran almost 1700 hours in concrete road construction atmosphere. 2nd set went almost 1400 hours with beet juice in all four tires for additional weight while pushing snow. Replaced rims and tires with Carlisle "Road Guard" thick sidewall tires and DO NOT recommend them at all. Far too soft and tearout of the lugs is prominent on these tires. Under 400 hrs on these and they are about 1/3rd down so wearing faster than the Galaxy brand also. There is no fluid in these. I mainly operate in a driveway and parking lot at my shop, (both gravel) with very little hard road exposure. I believe the rubber durometer rating is just about the same as their riding lawn mower tires as they are very soft. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 7:38am
Most contractors here are moving to Airless Tires but not Solids,  Look Perforated from the side and seem to hold up well.  Takes a specialized rim yet once done is supposed to also be less expensive.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 5:06pm
Wore out 4 Skid Steer Loaders.1 Bobcat 3 Gehls when I milked cows. A set of tires would last a year on concrete scraping manure and feeding. We got to putting the fronts on the back and new tires on the front so we bought 2 every year instead of 4. I can't recall the brand that wore the best. I do know the last full set was Carlisle and they seemed to last as long as anything else. Some Dairymen were buying the solid tires because of flats ,and their help all complained about the rough ride.I heard of farmers getting their Skid Loader tires foam filled for weight and no flat. Replacement costs were high as the tire had to be cut from the rim. Track machines are popular in construction and on farms here now.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 5:42pm
We've got a tracked Kubota here that I bought when I was having a lot of electrical trouble with the Case. At some point it'll become the litter machine but I'd much rather wear out the Case first. It cost a lot less.
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:58am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Most contractors here are moving to Airless Tires but not Solids,  Look Perforated from the side and seem to hold up well.  Takes a specialized rim yet once done is supposed to also be less expensive.

The mine I work at just put these "Tweels" on their Cat skid steer. They absolutely were not cheap. But as said, you have to buy the rims for them also.

One thing I can tell you.....if you need to go on snow do not even consider them. They are useless. They even laced them with sheet metal screws and it still can't get the traction the old bald air tires had. They are now buying new air tires for it again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic