This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for advice
    Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 3:08pm
Grandson has expressed an interest in pulling. Halaluha! something besides video games and texting! 
OK, I have a WD, and a WD45 w/o running motors. I have a used WD motor, strong runner, history unknown, and a stock D17 motor in my inventory. where do I go from there?
Also, possibility of picking up a running B real cheap, would that be a better choice?

This must be a LOW buck adventure, at least until I see if his interest remains.

And, are there universal rules, or do I look for rules. I asked around for someone local to answer that question, but, so far, all I have received is shoulder shrugs.

All comments are welcome
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 6:22pm
Lou: Find out more about the clubs in your area. Get rules for all of them. Rules can vary greatly form club to club depending on the favorite color of those in power for any club. In the last 20 years many places have gone to speed limits to keep the trophies for themselves. I've had my fill of being told not to every come back to places to pull because I made the home team look so pathetic. That was the primary reason for selling both CA pullers I had. 
  I would say if there is a 2000 or 2500 pound class with a 3mph limit a B would be the choice. If the speed limit is 5 MPH or better for the 2500 class, the CA is a perfect choice. A CA can get into a 2000 pound class and will mop the floor with Cubs & Ponies, if it isn't constrained with a speed limit.
  For a 3500 slow class the WD with a strong D17 engine would be a good choice. The WD45 has different gear ratios and my not match the class well. Don't get lead to believe that you need 38" rears as they require big power to turn them. Try a few different size tires until you find what works with that power you have. 
  If you choose to go with a small engine tractor, keep in touch as I have a many decades of experience with getting the most out of the BE/CE blocks. Feel free to send me a direct email to: the1orangewizard@gmail.com if you have any questions.  HTH Paul

Edited by PaulB - 12 Feb 2023 at 6:47am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 10:33pm
Thanks Paul!
I have the rules for the local fair, but haven't been able to catch up with any of the local clubs, yet. The pulls at the fairgrounds start at 4500, Farm stock 2500RPM limit and 4mph.
Wait for the Lord;
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 7:03am
Lou: Sounds like the WD or WD45 is what you're going with then, 201/226 engines are out of my expertise.  Many others are into them and many things are ready made for those engines. Don't bother with the WD engine, bigger cubes is always helpful until you can turbocharge it.
  Often clubs are very tight lipped about what their rules are and will let you run with something that isn't legal until take their 50 cent plastic trophy home, then they are on you like wasps telling you what you can't do.
  More clubs need to be color blind and easier to get along with like the Club I pull with near Annapolis, Md. We have everything from "Historic" which are show tractors or off the farm tractors as left the factory at 3mph, that may only have factory weights in the factory position, to the "Open" class with no speed limit which allows turbos, hanging weights, larger cut tires and engine options, to get the spectators excited.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 11:15pm
Paul,
you have no idea how close I came to owning one of your two! I sat on it too long, couldn't commit. I had my brides support on it, but the grandsons were not showing interest at the time. Now they are.
Thanks again for the advice
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic