This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wd 45 diesel factory replacement engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wd 45 diesel factory replacement engine
    Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:01pm
so if their was a factory replacement engine for the wd 45 d  or maybe the d17d ,  that would work with the tractor pulling rules what would it be ?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 6:59am
You should be asking the club that you plan on pulling with. So many places interpret a simple phrase like "replacement engine" wildly different.
 The Club I mainly pull with states " same number of cylinders, of the same manufacturer, using the same fuel, that bolts into the frame without adapters or alterations". Also a replacement engine that is available as a Factory supplied "Kit" for engines "not serviced" is acceptable. Like many things, ask three people and get four or more answers.
 That being said, in a "stock class" The D17 engine into a WD45D will NOT qualify, because of the interference with the oil filter and the left frame rail. However if you were to make and adapter to use a remote oil filter that didn't require cutting the left frame rail for clearance, it would be allowed.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 8:00am
A-C may have offered the D-262 from the D-17 series tractor as a "replacement" engine and they may have had a different oil filter base available to make the installation possible. I don't know either for a fact, but the logical replacement engine would have been the engine that evolved from the original one.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 10:49am
what i see is that when the d262 or the 230 explode you just as well park it iguess that would include the d 19 also,   so what about moving up to the 301 tractors what would their modern factory replacment be .   i am mostly geting conversation going but i am going to build somthing this summer , i have stuff in the bone yard    
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 11:16am
Really not sure where you are wanting to go or wind up with this "replacement" engine thing.  A BD-230 engine COULD be replaced with a D-262 without much hassle. Overall length is the same and the width (other than the oil filter base) is similar too. Basically the same family of engine. The 2000 series engine (265-301) starts in 1964 in the mighty One-Ninety diesel at about 88 flywheel HP and gas version at 86 HP. The next year in 1965 they offered the One-Ninety XT diesel with a turbo and eng oil cooler and the flywheel HP was up to approx 105 and gas versions at 103 HP.  Ten years later, the 7000 tractor had a better turbo and copper sleeved injector tubes and the diesel HP would have been around 120 at the flywheel.  Then in 1977 the 7020 tractor was intercooled and piston cooled and had a larger engine oil cooler and weighed in at approx 145 flywheel HP.  7010 and 8010 tractors were non-intercooled and HP derated down to the 125ish range. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 11:45am
i have been reading some of the antquie tractor pulling forums and it seems like their are a lot of big c.i. options for some of the other brands that are considered factory replacement or acceptable replacement options  like the red diamond engine in the farmalls , or the big molines,    did any of the gleaner combines use in line 6 chevys ? 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 1:19pm
Model K used the GM 250.....model F used GM292.  A Red, black or blue Diamond engine was never a factory replacement. Those Farmall guys just make stuff like that up. It's their answer to the Minnie Moes with irrigation motors in a farm tractor.

Edited by DrAllis - 06 Feb 2023 at 6:35pm
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 8:58pm
A lot of things are ok if colors are right. Lol.       Have heard alot of lying arguments  over the last 50+ years over these kind of thing. The best lyers usually win.             MACK
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 9:09pm
their never will be the perfect rules for everyone
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 6:32am
OPEN CLASS: No Whining, NO Speed limit, You have something with rear wheel drive that looks like a tractor, has a tractor chassis and makes the weight class...HAVE FUN. Leave all the whining to the Grampa gear sissies.
 TOO many places will try to whip you with their rule book instead of their tractors.

Edited by PaulB - 11 Feb 2023 at 6:40am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:54am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

OPEN CLASS: 
 TOO many places will try to whip you with their rule book instead of their tractors.
You said a mouthful there. I once showed up at a truck pull with a big block Dodge. Had the factory manuals and vin decode book in the back seat.
Learning AC...slowly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic