This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11 Running Hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willakohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11 Running Hot
    Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 3:08pm
Hello,

My first post.  I have inherited an HD 11 crawler/dozer from my late father.  It runs great but starts to overheat.  I'm going to start by replacing the thermostats but it seems to be recirculating the coolant as I can see disturbance at the top of the radiator but since it has 2 two thermostats I was figuring, well maybe one isn't opening or they aren't opening completely.  Also, there is no water in the oil as it isn't milky white or foamed. 

Any Ideas on the overheating and where I can get parts for the HD11.  I have looked on a lot of part suppliers but haven't found much for the HD11

Thanks
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 4:26pm
You could check if the radiator bees  are't plugged and check too the fan belts and pully if they are't to worne
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 6:59am
Could not see the mud in the radiator on my 7G when had it, was 3/4 choked with oil soaked dirt from minor engine leaks and pusher fan, had to soak in degreaser while on the floor to get the stuff to come loose.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 2:24pm
Although you didn't say how long it takes to overheat, or conditions, you might check flow, water pump impeller may be corroded or spun off. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
willakohl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willakohl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 3:32pm
Thanks it seems that it can just sit and idle but when I pull the throttle back about 10 minutes its overheating.  This was in the spring. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 4:40pm
Was that way for the 7G, would cool down readily once idled back for a period as had enough open core to cool back down.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 5:25pm
my favorite diagnostic tool is the laser IR thermometer. Start her up, and start shooting temps at various places on the block, head, around thermostat(s).  if it's not obvious, then pull the radiator, and shine a bright light on one side, and see if you can see it through t'other...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 10:58am
Start by making sure the outside of the radiator is clean so air can flow. If that is clear and the fan is working, time to think about cleaning the tubes out on the inside. Less and less radiator repair shops. So you may need to learn to solder. I run mostly old Cat's and bolted together tanks and have never had real success with any with chemical cleaning agents. But poking the calcium out has done wonders for the cooling. 

Not familiar with weakness of the old AC engines, but in my Cat's a over looked weakness is pre combustion chambers that can leak gases into the water jacket and cause heating issues. But leaking head gaskets and such or plugged radiators are the big things to look at if you have heating trouble.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:45am
If you remove the lower hose, cover the radiator outlet, fill the radiator with water,, and release the outlet, water should rush out like a fire hose. If it trickles out, your cores are probably partially clogged. You should also remove the upper hose while doing this to allow air to flow into the radiator as the water rushes out. The CLR (calcium, lime, rust) remover solution works well for the heater cores I flush. I'd avoid any chemical flush that has caustic elements to it. These old radiators are thin, and fragile. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic