This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tarp repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tarp repair
    Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 4:24pm
Has anyone used Vinylock tarp tape to repair a semi tarp?

Edited by DanWi - 25 Dec 2022 at 4:25pm
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 4:45pm
Used it at the local company, will forewarn, is temporary, will need to get the tarp to a true tarp shop within a few weeks or tear will return with a vengeance.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 6:17pm
Wondering for on hopper bottom grain trailer, they usually rip first on the front and back bow. I have the glue and cut patches out of old tarp and they usually last the rest of the life of the tarp.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 6:19pm
Can always try, not out much for as long as lasts.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 1:46pm
 Why not apply the patch before it tears then as a added precaution to stop tears

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 3:49pm
Your right but why would a farmer put a patch on a brand-new tarp? Yes, if it was double thickness there it would last the life of the tarp. I guess the old saying goes you can pay me now or you can pay me later. Only thing if it would have been done sooner, I wouldn't need a warm day or spot in winter to fix it. Oh well. Maybe the tape would be good to reinforce the spots before it tears, put it on the backside where it wears on the bows.

Edited by DanWi - 26 Dec 2022 at 3:52pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 5:54pm
I just made a coupla leaf bags for a new mower I got, Used hot melt glue, old tarp material and aluminium coil stock and pop rivits to re-inforce a spot that has considerable stress on it. That being said and done, I have about all of 4-6 hours makin them damn bags, and they are tiny vs what you are tryin to repair.  Unless I had a 40' long clear area heated shop area, I' wouldn't think twice on havin a tarp shop do it!Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 8:57pm
Back in the 1950's when dad bought his first 60 Combine, the dealership gave him a can of glue and a couple of square feet of canvas. The stuff stunk but I remember him putting quite a few patches on those canvases. Unfortunately my darn memory has started to fail me and I cannot remember the name of the stuff. You might google canvas cement.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Wondering for on hopper bottom grain trailer, they usually rip first on the front and back bow. I have the glue and cut patches out of old tarp and they usually last the rest of the life of the tarp.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic