This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Operator ignorance & how do you fix the damage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brkfldj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:23pm
Thanks steve(ill). I was mowing as tight as possible around cedar clumps that tend to take over at the rock outcrops in the field. I have no idea of the degrees created by my turns, but the turns were too tight for the mower drive line.
Jim
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ——— Ben Franklin
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:28pm
I'd have to go measure it but I'm sure my Woods has more shaft exposed than that one. Pull shaft apart and see how much is sticking in slip. If its only just fully engaged  in slip while straight you're screwed. If plenty cut slip at weld and shorten front piece a couple inches and reweld. KEEP IT IN TIME!!!  Then you can turn so short  your tire catches shield and buckles it up but you won't jam the shaft into the tractor.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 6:43am
Maybe Santa will bring you a BIG pile of wood chips/mulch, so you can landscape those 'tight corner' areas into more gentle swoops ?
Neighbour had a similar 'grass cutting' problem. I suggested making a flower garden out of the trouble area, naturally I got the 'grr another *&^^* garden to deal with ??!!' but he did make it. Turned into a real nice display and a simple, single,fast troublefree pass with the mower.
Options, always try to find the ones that make YOUR life easier !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 11:08am
Can't say for sure without hopping on his tractor and mowing on his job, but 45 degrees sure sounds very unrealistic for a sharp turn limit.  

Unhook your PTO, drive the tractor and turn very sharp, like your rear tire about to interfere, and stop and take the measurements on your PTO to see if you can shorten it up that much, and still be engaged properly when straight.  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 1:35pm
as the pto outer tube is 38 inches long, i would guess the SQUARE shaft is 24 - 30 inches... Thats why i said last week that it would be "NICE" if there was 12 inches of shaft showing... Outer tube would be better at 32 inches instead of 38.......

Could be " cut and weld", but thats some work and depends on your welding ability ... and yes, the square end has to be ALIGNED with the yoke end if it is cut....

45 degree angle is not much of a turn, but could be done... apparently you have been doing that prior to the OOOPS..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 3:01pm
Very interesting math on the movement for turns... I really should make a note of how tight I can turn my WD with the 6' AC 172 mower behind it... There's some "play" in the side to side of the shaft so I think it lets me get away with more than it should.
brkfldj View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brkfldj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 6:35pm
UPDATE: removal of the Woods Mower driven shaft was straight forward because of the council of you forum members. I used my Dremel with a cylindrical, chainsaw sharpening, grind stone. The burrs on the end of the PTO shaft were the source of my inability to remove the Wood’s driven shaft. A few minutes with the Dremel and the shaft was removed.
There was no problem with the release button.
Thanks to all.
Jim
[IMG]
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ——— Ben Franklin
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 7:14pm
The long shaft that telescopes has to be really slick to slide  with torque like mowing around a corner.

Another experience i had with a sliding shaft was wear on the corners of the square shaft at the standard operating length. If the corners are rounded over and they have torque applied they bind as they try to slip into the squarer part of the tube. Creates a wedge. This happened to our 5 foot three point cutter. We mowed a gazillion acres of pasture and the shaft was really worn bad. Replaced inner and outer shaft problem solved.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 8:44am
Get your drawbar hole to 16 inches from the end of the PTO shaft. Technically not spec but it will solve your problem. Gives you more clearance back by the gearbox and moves the pivot point closer to the u-joint in front.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic