This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gravel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gravel
    Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:55am
Had 3 loads hauled out here last week.
Road rock which amounts to 1/2"-3/4" with a lot of dust in it.
It's what I wanted to fill some holes and makes a good surface when it gets wet and dries.
32 tons, and he spread 1 load and dump 2 that was partially wet/frozen so I had to go over it and get the clods out.

$877, I knew it wasn't going to be cheap with the fuel prices and all. 
Quarry ticket said $10 a ton. I used to get it for $2 when I had my single axle dump truck. I don't regret the price or the spreading and just finding someone to do it was hard enough. It's a "gotta know somebody" kinda thing
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:35am
Bought seven loads earlier this year. Not cheap but it beats wallowing in the mud! Probably get two or three more next year.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:42am
Constant advertisement in the local paper of $18 ton, (CA-6) tailgate spread in 10 ton loads.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 8:09am
Have been out of the business now for almost 20 years , of the hauling and spreading .
I used to charge $40 a hour for the tandem truck and delivered 15 ton loads for under $100 total withing 15 miles of here . 
 Now they get $100 a hour for truck and material cost is around $ 15 a ton on top of truck cost . Cl 5 road bed 3/8 rock size mix with a clay binder / BA 6 - without binder around same cost . Going to limerock materials is running over $22 a ton + delivery . When I was doing it it was $4.50 a ton so my price was around $140 spread 
  My old White 4264 Tandem could haul 16.5 tons of material on 3 axles and it seems now 5 axle truck is needed to haul same weight .
  Son sold his Quint axle ( tandem and 3 drops ) which he had bought new for $160,000 . Far cry from my old white I paid $2,000 for , but then 1975 was a far different economy along with different world . 
  Started doing trucking and grading back in 72/73 with a 55 Ford T 700 tandem I bought for $500 - 272 engine 5x3 boxes and 8 yard box . White 66 White has a 10/12 yard box 5x4 box but full truck weighs around 18,000 - so 16.5 ton of material is a full load .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 2:32am
I had 246 ton of 3/4 inch crushed rock delivered, don't recall the charge...but it was darned EXPENSIVE! whew! 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 3:35am
Local quarry just had third markup for the year, fuel, tire replacements, even explosives costs sent their cost spiraling so had to shift to customers. 2”minus here is $15.50t, 2” clean $16.50, 1”clean $16 and 1” minus $15. Delivery is up too, we are seven miles from quarry, blanket fee to deliver spread or just dumped. Most are $150 truckload delivery. If I was still running for the trucking company could have bought the rock outright and hauled it for fuel cost per the boss, but on my own time.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 8:22am
He charged $150 a load to haul. I was looking at the quarry ticket again and it was over 40 tons. It is a really crappy print out. I figured it would be over $1K.

I was scattering some out yesterday trying to prepare for the chit weather. Need to get a smooth run at it sometimes. Going to have carpal tunnel surgery on the 15th. Trying to get some stuff taken care of prior. 

Since the farmer's almanac said Shameless was going to go nuts on the Midwest thought I would try to get ready. He sees an opening and he takes it. No Shame at all hence the name.

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 11:36am
Dang shameless, that is about 11 Trailer truck loads.  Musta been a big project. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 1:25pm
Dave that was only 1/2 of what I needed, I didn't get to use it, and is about to be sold
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:11am
Crazy prices now! I was in the gravel business in the early 2000's. Mainly haulage but we did buy and sell a few loads. We could deliver a load of 27 tons for $200 on a cash deal. Lol. That was on a 4 axle straight truck - tandem drives, then a lift axle 100" from forward drive and steer axle. They have cut these weights back a bit here in Ontario now. So fixer our one load here would have "fixed" you. Smile

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 07 Dec 2022 at 9:12am
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:44am
I just had a 30 yard side dump the sept. $200 neighbor farmer if he's got time. Hauls it about 10 miles was class 13 with binder. I leveled out with my WD45 trip bucket loader then smoothed with 190 back blade. By the time I'm don't it hard as concrete.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic