This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lincoln Weld-Pak 175 HD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lincoln Weld-Pak 175 HD
    Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 5:13pm
 Howdy,,,,,,Gents,,,,,
Now that we're propwerly been introduced, this is Ole Joe calling on a "Recorded line" aannd I'm calling aboiut your overdue account and ,,,,CLICK,,,chit that sob hung up on me again,,,,,
 Them dang ROBO callers,,I just got my 12the caller in 30 minutes,,,one thing for sure,,they ARE persistant ,,ain't they???      
 Anyway,,I had not used my wire mmachine in a while and went to use it and the wire transmission woild NOT pull the wire off the spool?? Something inside the boxx would "Click but no movement of the wire. Took the tip off the wire and cut the wire at tha spool, then pulled th wire out of the stinger cable. Plugged it all back up and tried it again and still no go. The "click" cAn be heard inside the box  I figure there is nuttin that should have a small dash of light oil, as UI finally broke the wwire trans LOOSE and it turns with the wand but is there anything inside that could use some light oil????
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 6:07pm
Typically no... when that wire ships, it usually has a very, very light production film on it that will help keep it from corroding whilst in storage, but it only lasts so long.  One cannot add more, lest the wire feeder's drive rollers slip, or the liner fouls up.

What happens, is crud and corrosion, and remains of that film, all turn into glop inside the whip liner, then it binds up... and the wheels start to slip.

Best way to correct this, is pull out and discard all the wire (the whole spool), scrub the rollers clean with acetone, remove the gun from the machine (usually a thumbscrew and two wires, mebbie a plastic hose connection), unlock and pull out the liner (sometimes a small setscrew), then slide a new one in, measure, mark, pull it out,  cut to length, grind it clean (no sharp edge to snag the wire) then install it into the gun, reassemble... and try again.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 7:15pm
Had to change liner on my Miller 210, not a bad process. Had to basically toss the wire remaining, use it for Tie Wire in places I need such eventually will get taken to scrap. About four years in humidity and temperature controlled shop area id all can get before starts sticking.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 7:24pm
joe, when you install the wire, you put a clamp over the feed roller and tighten so the roller will FEED the wire... My roller has small notches to grab the wire and PUSH it into you plastic liner....... After 15 years the little NOTCHES were worn down and would not feed... plastic liner may be somewhat dirty, but just more PUSH was needed.. My wheel was reversable.. just flip it over and second groove with notches are now in service. Thats all it took for me... remove the wire and turn on the feed.. see if the roller is turning..

I have never taken the plastic liner out of the feed cable... maybe after 25 years i should do that ??  Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Nov 2022 at 7:26pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:21pm
Withthe price ofwire now days and the amount one uses - almost worth going back to stick (almost) 
  Son uses a couple 45 lb rolls of wire a week (E70S) so mist of the machines don't set to long without use . 4 machines in shop and in main bay . Keep a empty box for wire stored over roll on machine as it keeps dust and dirt from getting on unused wire .
  found the liner in my Pow-Con machine got rougn inside from welding at higher amp and continuous duty - gun was rated 130 A - now have a 200 A gun on machine 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 1:01am
I don't know Joe, where you live there isn't much moisture to cause problems like those poor gays back east who can sit and listen to everything rust.  Did you run the wilder with no wire in the rollers?  Are you sure you didn't run over the cable with a D8?  I'm sure you will figure it out.  Good Luck!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:12am
re: With the price of wire now days and the amount one uses - almost worth going back to stick (almost)

YES, I picked up a dual (gas/flux ) MIG welder in the summer. Not gas/regulator or flux wire naturally.. went to price those...yikes..sticker shock !!
Priced per pound 7018AC rods are cheaper and I KNOW how to weld with my 35 year old Lincoln AC -225-S so the 'new' welder is collecting dust,at least for now
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:39am
 Well, a little update,,,I finally got the Lincoln to roll the trans drive wheels without the wire in the cable,,,,,even after pulling the wire OUT,,it would still just "click" inside the box like a set of contacts,,,? Was fixing to squirt a shot of WD on trans wheels when it broke loose and started to work like usual,,,??? WTF,,?? I'm thinking I sshould remove the trans out to clean whatever might be dirty ,,,,? looks like just two electrical connections and a couple of mounting screws,,,,??
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:25am
Those are usually driven by a brush type motor which if not used often oxidize the commutator segments disallowing the motor to operate. Some you can disassemble and clean, some are crimped and gaining access will destroy the motor case. The clicking you hear is most likely the contactor or relay that supplies power to this drive, or wire feed motor.

Now that you have it running; let it run a while not pushing any wire. Give it about a three minute run time and about a 10 minute cool down time a few iterations to allow the segments to "wipe" themselves of the oxidation.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 9:04am
couple drops of WD40 on the wheel pivot shaft cant hurt... if the motor has a HOLE in the end.. put a drop in there also... run like CODGER said for a few minutes and your good to go !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 11:29am
OK,,I'm gonna do that  Many THANKS Guys!!! 
   By the way does anyone need some more Black Label,,,??  Dude at liquer store made me a " special" Pre Christmas Fire sale on half a pickup load ,,,AND,,,,Me being the sort of fellar I usually am,,,,,,'ll be giving errrr I'll only be marking it up ,,,,just a little bit,,,,,LOLlWink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 4:01pm
 CHIT, Guys  I didn't get NO Takers on this fine high Quality Black Label,,,,,,,?

Update on the Lincoln Mig Welder Finally just opened it up to look at the drive motor and the outside of motor case was covered with what looked like fine metal fillings  got a BIG magnet and carefully wokled all that chit off the case and motor spun lots easier but that was NOT the problem. Put motor back and removed the liner,,BFJ,, and ran the motor and I thought that sob was gonna FLY out of that welder,,,,!!!CHIT,,it was the friggin liner all the time,,!! Called local welding shop and they had one for the Tweco torcjh. Finally got it installed and that little mig works like a NEW one,,!! And it is laying the purdiest bead almost like dimes in a row,,,,!!!
 I appreciate all yall's help again,,,,!!!!!ClapClapClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic