This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting rid of Sparrows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting rid of Sparrows
    Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:33am
Does anyone have a solution for chasing sparrows out of a barn?? I have a lean-to that has no doors and the sparrows moved in recently and poop all over everything. I have been told to just shoot them, but don't have the time to sit and wait. I have also been told to hang pie plates from the rafters or get a fake owl and set it in the rafters. Any help is appreciated.
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 10:47am
must be 'barn swallows' ?? They WILL keep coming back, year after year after year after.......kinda like salmon ??

I destroyed their nests..they came back
I closed the doors when I could, they came back
I SOLD the shop, not MY problem anymore....hehehehehe

you might try the BIRD-X units. They worked so well at Disney you could eat your food without being swarmed upon by any birds...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:09am
Inflatable owls on a short rope seem to work here, random movement sets them to flight.  Do not mind Sparrows as much as Starlings, NASTY birds.
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 11:27am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

must be 'barn swallows' ?? They WILL keep coming back, year after year after year after.......kinda like salmon ??

I destroyed their nests..they came back
I closed the doors when I could, they came back
I SOLD the shop, not MY problem anymore....hehehehehe

you might try the BIRD-X units. They worked so well at Disney you could eat your food without being swarmed upon by any birds...

Not Barn Swallows. I like to keep those birds around. They eat a lot of bugs in the summertime. They stay in my old barn in the basement. The Sparrows are here all season and have taken residence in my lean-to. 
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 1:26pm
Before I closed in my building I done Dave said I had 2 plastic Owls hanging on a wire that ran full length of the building so when any wind blow they would move and didn't have much trouble with them.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 1:32pm
I've bought two of these.  They work!  Be prepared ahead of time with a dispatching solution (I wring their necks).  I've caught hundreds, over the past 15 years or so.  English sparrows are not "protected".  I hate 'em!

Edited by GSTROM99 - 30 Nov 2022 at 1:35pm
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:12pm
My barn cats have completely taken care of the bird problem.its fun watching Tiger crouched on the top of the open barn door waiting for the birds to fly past launch into the air and catch the bird on the way down.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 10:59pm
 My problem is with the little sparrows getting into the chicken coop and eating the chickie food. Most times there will be a madhouse of 20 or so sparrows inside the coop eating up what I just put in there for the chickies,,,within just a few minutes all the groceries will be GONE and the chickies won't have any groceries for rest of the day or for "snacks". Them little sobs will fly and land on the chicken wire openings and work themselves THRU the openings, eat till full and then right back  thru the openings!!! I'm thinkin bout putting some other wire with smaller openings,,,,?? I think them little sobs is calling thier friends about them good gorceries ole Joe has got served up,,,,,,Angry,

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 3:38am
Joe, I kinda got the drift that you don't mind seeing the little critters stop by.  Same here when they stop in for chow, 20-30 and they are or seem to be hungry.  They sure do clean up the bird feeder here.  Tongue
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:27am
 Yeah Dave,,,,I wouldn't mind but them little sobs will eat till the eat up all the chickie groceries,,,then have to feed again mid day,,,,,PSHAAAAaaa!! (Thats a new one for ole Shameless)
  My youngest Son and grandson built the 10' X 10' X 8' coop and did pretty good job and was not gonna put a top til I told him them chickies Can and Will fly over the top and then them two big bruisers will have them for supper,,,!! or maybe the foxes will, so he framed the top and now has chickie wire all over,,,just has the openings too big to keep them food Robbers OUT!! I have the Top covered with a tarp for summer heat control and am thinking bout getting some other kind of wire panels for the sides,,,,dang sparrows!!!!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 8:29am
https://www.birdbgone.com/bird-b-gone-flash-tape-1-x-50-3pk/

FLASH TAPE VISUAL BIRD DETERRENT 1" X 50' (3 PK)

4.1 star rating34 Reviews

OVERVIEW

Flash Tape is a visual bird deterrent made from a highly reflective, shiny mylar film and is used to scare birds from outdoor areas. It can keep pest birds away from fruit trees, gardens, vines, pool areas, patios, gazebos, overhangs, boats, and more!  Each roll of flash tape is 50' long and is meant to be cut into strips and attached to affected areas. Flash Tape is great for repelling pest birds including pigeons, woodpeckers, seagulls, swallows, sparrows, starlings, crows, blackbirds, grackles, ducks, geese, etc.

< ="" method="post" ="https://www.birdbgone.com/cart.php" enc="multipart/-" -cart-item-add="" style="-sizing: border-;">
SKU:
MMFT050-3PACK

TOTAL: 
$11.99

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 02 Dec 2022 at 8:30am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 5:15pm
The vineyards where all into the Mylar shinny tape stuff, for a few years. But like anything that doesn't kill a bird every now and then they get use to it. They still use the propane cannon deals because the new ones have timer and don't need to be started and stopped every day. But if you don't have shotgun and use it the they have been known to sit on top cannon as it goes boom and just sit there.

I get my entertainment watching the cats trying to catch hummingbirds at the feeders somebody thinks she needs to keep filling. One O'l momma cat is better than 50% some others no so much.

When I was a kid every barn had few pigeons living in them.  I have no idea if they us to taste better, Confused  some talked about eating them. But never knew anyone that did. The last 30 years finally no pigeons left that I know of.

If possible shot a few birds besides any other method and you will have less birds. In Joes case kind of in town, maybe start the grandson on being the great hunter with a BB gun. The sitting quit and waiting and then being reasonable and not hitting some the "treasures" Joe has sitting around. Or the chickies.  
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 5:50pm
My Mother claims, they ate pigeon, rabbit, frequently during The Great Depression.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 11:18am
When I was a young'n on the farm I would take my Daisy Red Ryder to the hay barn with a flashlight and go on the hunt being quiet waiting to hear a bird come in for a landing and shinning the fl toward it.  I shot a lot of sparrows and I wore out two BB retention springs, finally just stayed at a lower perch to go after them.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 1:32pm
cover the rafters with a thin cheap material, take away their "sitting" areas and the can't land to poop. old sheets can be stapled up or this paneling or plywood nailed up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic